Choose style:

Author Topic: amc backed by pontiac power  (Read 8749 times)

Prafeston

Re: amc backed by pontiac power
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 02:25:15 AM »
Wow, this sounds cool. Let's see some pics already! :)

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 11:07:10 PM »
Those Pontiac OHC sixes are beautiful looking, unfortunately everyone goes for V-8s because they fit so well in the old Pontiac cars. The big Pontiac engines came in 400, 428, and 455 in the 70's. I think all the GM divisions had a 455, and Cadillac had the 500.

They Pontiac 6s were 250ci in the last couple of years before the muscle-car wars caused Pontiac to drop them. It's a shame, really; they had a 6500 RPM redline. There's a forum out there devoted to them. If I found one I'd pick it up then find something to use it in just for the uniqueness.

I like the old Kaiser Tornados too, but they're a different breed. They were in the FSJs early on, and they are really good engines. They get a bad rap because of their uniqueness and some of the applications they were used in.

The Tornado had a lot of torque and a low fuel consumption, all while driving both valves off the same cam lobe. It had 6 lobes instead of 12. They were put in a lot of military vehicles for years after they were discontinued in the consumer market, and were maybe a little underpowered for some of those.

But I'm drifting a bit. I'd love to see the finished product and construction photos. I love to see unique swaps, and I think that the OHC would make a good choice. As far as transmission selection, a 700r4 or an NV/NP would probably work, they were used in GMs and Jeeps so you may get lucky and find all the parts at the junkyard.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 70
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 11:33:34 PM »
I like the idea. Its unique yet do-able, and hey, if you can put a 151ci pontiac motor in one why not a pontiac ohc i6? Like amcinstaller said, its a refreshing change from the "chevy" thing.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.