News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 20, 2024, 09:39:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: project desert Eagle  (Read 43524 times)

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: project desert Eagle
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »
@mechanic: thanks man. Im gonna keep trying. somebody will have something here I hope. and being in the midwest what is a nice day lol? but seriously im gonna go around this weekend to some storage places and se if they will let me store and work on it for a month or 2. ya ive never been lucky enough to have extra garage space. the only space i would kind of have is my grandpas barn but its full of farm equipment, motorcycles, and who knows what else. and he's in the hospital for the next 4-6 weeks which sucks. thats a whole dfferent story. lotta family stuf going on right now. but I did however put a new ad on a certain list so hopefully ill hear some good news here in the next few days.
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Old Daily driver now has a new transmission and will become a daily driver again once I start on my eagle.

1986 Chevy 1 Ton non-dually regular cab-I miss that old truck :(.

1985 AMC Eagle Wagon- My new daily driver that has started an AMC obsession

" It's an AMC thing... normal people wouldn't understand"

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »
Still no good news with the new ad. just a lot of spam, should've figured. well now what? does anyone think that a storage place will let you work on your car?
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Old Daily driver now has a new transmission and will become a daily driver again once I start on my eagle.

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »
Still no good news with the new ad. just a lot of spam, should've figured. well now what? does anyone think that a storage place will let you work on your car?

From what I heard, depends on the person running the place. I remember one guy in particular on here that did a full drivetrain swap in one of those big containers that are used on trains and ships(you know what I mean??) so It's possible, just not ideal.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 07:42:29 PM »
Ya your right but that is looking like what is going to happen. I was hoping for someone's privately owned garage but idt its going to happen that way. Ive been emailing and calling some placea today. though on a friday its hard to get to anybody.

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 08:00:59 PM »
 BIG UPDATE!!!::no sooner did i post that previous comment did i get an email. $50 a month through july for a 10x20 storage unit. I asked about working on my car there,he said yes we have several weekend mechanics. looks like Ive found my garage!!! its one step closer to getting this done i am freaking stoked y'all!!yea!!! and best part is its right down the street a few miles. Ill keep you posted!

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 10:24:48 PM »
good news bro! congrats!

As for the stuff you want me to do on the engine for ya, I don't mind doin it, but I can't front the costs of the parts... well, except the valve cover and gasket because I have a set sitting here for MY project that I can hijack for now. As for the paint... if you want it red, I have the paint... I may have some balck... I might be able to do the AMC logo... I do have the air brushes for it... but thats an all-day project... I'm not opposed to it - w can work something out later, but first and foremost I need the materials. You're 6 hours away, you could probably send an Autozone gift card to me (so you can see the transactions) or just buy it online and have it for pickup and my local AZ in my name.

I'll work with ya however my man!

Oh and the car is stock... so... whatever came on the 85 limited's.

You have my email... or you can PM me and let me know how you want to transfer the funds for the parts and stuff.

And hey.... you woudn't owe me if you could borrow a truck for the weekend and haul that Ohio SX4 for me!!!!!! LOL!!! FREEEEEE engine, FREEEEE labor, and FREEEE valve cover if you can pull it off, LOL!
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 01:40:24 AM »
I could order the paint and stuff and pay for it and have it for you at the one closest to you. Still havent heard from my friend so it may be me and my roomate in his truck coming to get it. I may just do some of the work my self to save you you the trouble man also about those hub caps and sunvisors, u still have'em man. its all coming toghther just slowly. i hope to go look at he garage here this week and possibly rent it. its a 3 day school week for me  8) cuz of somethng going on thursday so everyone gets the day off. Im going to try to go home this weekend too. I havent been home in about 2 months and 1 week. BTW, i know im getting ahead of my self with this next comment but, with my original engine wonder what direction I should go with it when I rebuild it? stock/ original, mild build for a bit more power, heavy build, or OMG what was that tan blur that just flew by? Lots of ideas floating but more than likely just a stock rebuild. o and one other thing. Idk if anyone here is familer with these type of alternators but does anyone think a 200 A 28V leece neville alternator can fit on an eagle?

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 10:16:23 AM »
Idk if anyone here is familer with these type of alternators but does anyone think a 200 A 28V leece neville alternator can fit on an eagle?

You could make it mount up but that is for a 24volt system not 12volt...  Sell it and buy a CS130 or CS144 with the profits.

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 01:50:40 PM »
Agree with wagonhauller.

As for engine stuff.... just go stock so you can have a good reliable engine in faster/cheaper.

As for whatever you want me to do... just let me know man. The engine will just be sitting till then. It's in the barn sitting on a slab of cement looking very lonely, lol!
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 05:38:50 PM »
@ Wagoneerehauler: ya your right I  wasnt thinking. they have heave tem for 12 volt systems. I want one so I can run all my cb stuff without killing my battery and charging system. what is a CS130 and CS144 alternator? and where to get one?

@ Mavericke: ya im planning on doing a stock rebuild cuz it is going to be alot cheaper and easier to build. ill talk to my roomate to see when we can come and get it. m going to shoot to get the garage this week. then mabe get the engine the following weekend. Im just speculating now this now. and mav ill let you kow with the whole replacing some parts and painting thing.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
@ Wagoneerehauler: ya your right I  wasnt thinking. they have heave tem for 12 volt systems. I want one so I can run all my cb stuff without killing my battery and charging system. what is a CS130 and CS144 alternator? and where to get one?

@ Mavericke: ya im planning on doing a stock rebuild cuz it is going to be alot cheaper and easier to build. ill talk to my roomate to see when we can come and get it. m going to shoot to get the garage this week. then mabe get the engine the following weekend. Im just speculating now this now. and mav ill let you kow with the whole replacing some parts and painting thing.

That Leece-Neville alternator would be a tight fit in the usual place for an Eagle. And I question whether the 12V stud would provide the amps you need. The 12V stud was generally used in its original applications to turn on a relay which in turn turned off the no-charge light in front of the driver and also enabled some of the accessories like air-conditioning. 
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »
I think I posted contact info on here for the OEM caravelle blue spray paint.

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »
Maybe not. I have the info somewhere if you want it

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 08:25:29 PM »
Ya Ill take the info for that if you still hve it.

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 09:28:18 PM »
As for the rebuild.  I'd at least put in an aftermarket cam with a little better grind.  Maybe an "RV" cam... little more low end torque which would never hurt an Eagle.   :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk