News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 09:22:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 1300 dollar fixer upper surprise project  (Read 97189 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Re: The 1300 dollar fixer upper surprise project
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2011, 11:30:38 PM »
I sure appreciate it man!! Ive been keeping a watchful eye out for a good donor jeep. I know a guy thats keeps trying to sell me a rolled over 87 cherokee...would be great if it wasnt a 2.8!! Im at a good starting point to do the conversion for sure...The only thing Im not sure about is if the existing tranny would jive with it, or id have to upgrade to a jeep trans.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2011, 11:11:13 PM »
I sure appreciate it man!! Ive been keeping a watchful eye out for a good donor jeep. I know a guy thats keeps trying to sell me a rolled over 87 cherokee...would be great if it wasnt a 2.8!! Im at a good starting point to do the conversion for sure...The only thing Im not sure about is if the existing tranny would jive with it, or id have to upgrade to a jeep trans.

Don't touch a pre-91 4.0, it's the renix model and it is really not worth it. The best years are 91-95. Also, that cam I mentioned in your thread... use a 1992, it had the best grind. Make sure to use same lifters and pushrods as cam, the lifters are different.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2011, 11:12:23 PM »
Do you have your stock "check engine" light wired up to the 4.0 ECM? Also, do you have it set up where cycling the ignition on-off-on-off-on flashes the codes?

My check engine light isn't wired in at all at the moment. I just knew there are codes because the engine runs very strong, but the vibration is telling me something I'm still trying to decipher.

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »
Do you have your stock "check engine" light wired up to the 4.0 ECM? Also, do you have it set up where cycling the ignition on-off-on-off-on flashes the codes?

My check engine light isn't wired in at all at the moment. I just knew there are codes because the engine runs very strong, but the vibration is telling me something I'm still trying to decipher.

I had a state inspector hook his scan tool up (the snap on scan tool, no otc scantool will display the needed information) and monitor everything with the engine running after checking codes. the coolant temp, intake air temp, and #1 fuel injector codes have vanished, so I properly diagnosed and fixed the problem... Note: I did not just replace the sensors because the computer said they were bad, I ohmed them out and checked voltage to and from each one, and did the same for the injector.

he stated that my ignition timing, injector cycles, O2 readings and fuel trim are all right where they need to be, though I am running 1.6% lean, probably from the huge crack in the manifold. The computer runs closed loop once off high idle as it should, and is in fuel control. So now I know the vibration has nothing to do with the engine itself, which is a huge relief. I need to check my motor mounts, and replace the poly trans bushings with rubber ones.

What's your 'sona?

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »
Glad to hear everything checked out ok....Im very curious as to what that vibration is...Ill probably have to deal with it too someday ;D...best of luck!!

Oh, and thanks again for all your help with Ginger...Your know how has saved me from alot of costly boo boo's!!! ;)

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2011, 04:22:40 AM »
Glad to hear everything checked out ok....Im very curious as to what that vibration is...Ill probably have to deal with it too someday ;D...best of luck!!

Oh, and thanks again for all your help with Ginger...Your know how has saved me from alot of costly boo boo's!!! ;)

More than anything it'sprobably the polyurethane swaybar bushings I used as trans mount bushings. I may also have a bad motor mount. If you keep to rubber instead of poly, you probably won't have that problem, especially if you're having the motor rebuilt. If you are going to have it machined, spend a bit extra and have them balance it.

I'm glad I could be of help :)

What's your 'sona?

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2011, 02:58:55 AM »
Well, went down to Denver this past weekend and ended up with a few new parts :D I found one of the improved design 4.0 manifolds on a Grand cherokee (has two flexpipes integrated into it, and much more reinforcement), still shiny, for 40 bucks. For a while now, I've been trying to figure out what the heck to do about my ugly freakin shifter too... Well, I found the solution to that... came from a 2000 Dodge dakota, apparently they were still using AX15's. it has a MUCH shorter throw, comes out at the perfect angle and location, and makes for a much crisper shift.

I'll take some decent photos with my good camera when it's light out...
I'm getting to the point, especially with being a mechanic/apprentice with someone who has over 15 years experience, that I have grown out of jerry-rigging stuff on my car. Slowly but surely I'm cleaning up all the things I cheaped out on, and redoing them correctly. I know you can make anything work in a pinch, but I'm coming to understand that there's a difference between sticking to a budget, and hacking something together just to make it work, no matter how sloppy.

Also, I never did take pics of Caroline after I put her fender on (thanks to Vangremlin for hookin me up)...

What's your 'sona?

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2011, 10:53:53 AM »
Nice job Touge !! I love that steering wheel. I know what you mean about cheaping out.I have had a 401 I have been slowly putting together for my AMX for a few years now.I set my goal not to reuse some parts on it , and be sure it was put together in spec and with double checking everything,I am glad I am doing it that way,and sure I will be rewarded for doing so.
Man it wasn't too long ago you were down and out and things not looking too good. I am glad you got the break you needed and deserved !!Your write ups are excellent !

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
Whats up man!? ;D Havent seen ya on here for a few days....Glad to hear your finally getting some time to work on Caroline. That shifter looks sweet!! It fits the interior perfectly. I see that you got a new manifold too. What year Grand Cherokee was that off of? Luckily I havent bought a manifold yet...Id really like to find one like the one you just got!!

Im with you on the doing it right thing....Im really trying to do everything 100% with Ginger...where possible...Im excited to get her on the road, but im a fairly novice mechanic so Ive got to take my time...checking and rechecking my work every step of the way...dont want to do this twice...not on Ginger atleast ;)

Take care
shane

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2011, 03:34:59 AM »
thanks a lot guys! It has been a long road with her, and the last hard hill is yet to come (front end rebuild save for the steering components), but it will be a few months out. I told myself the day she started up for the first time in a year and a half and ran that I had at that time reached the point of no return, and would from then on out refuse to even entertain the thought (other than to ponder how much someone would pay for an Eagle that does 0-60 in 8 secs at 5k feet) of selling. Every corner I cut always came back to bite me in the butt......

I have to get rid of the driveline vibration and get my car to pass emissions.. The Magnaflow cat I had on there fried within a few thousand miles, so I'll be getting a Caleefornya cat to replace it, at which point I'll move my other one up to right behind it. I thought up an excellent way to (re) modify my trans crossmember to accept a stock Jeep transmission mount. I'll be using some 1/4" thick plate steel welded to teh bottom of it, and holes drilled accordingly. I'll of course provide pictures and update the EFI swap writeup according... I go through so much effort in making good writeups because above all else this site should be a history archive and (SEMI) reference guide. I like to help keep y'all informed and show what I've done as I go along. I am one of those people that would MUCH rather spend a year building a (fast, for instance) car than spend a year saving up to buy one.  I'm about ready for that hack mount and poly bushings to go. They belong on the suspension, not on drivetrain parts.

I'm just hoping the PPO (previous previous owner.... my car exchanged quite a few hands before landing in mine) didn't take any shortcuts in rebuilding the motor past the oil pan and rear main....

That wheel honestly looks nicer than it is. The metal is metal and the wood is plastic, thinly done over the black firm foam. The good part about it is it somehow still looks good, and because it's not real, solid wood, it doesn't cause my hands to get frozen to it during the winter. It IS a 14" wheel, quite a downsizing from stock, so that shifter would be a little uncomfortably close to a stock wheel. I first pondered about what to do with that shifter situation a few months ago, but never really took an active interest in it until I drove a manual Dakota pickup at the emissions station, and realized that shifter would come out at the perfect angle,just like the T5 shifter did.

Shane, that manifold will pretty much fit any 4.0 head made 1991 or later, though it specifically came from the 7120 (91-95) generation. You can find a Borla look-alike on rock auto for about 170 bucks... I was originally going to buy that, but I couldn't pass up 40 bucks and two hours worth of work to get it done that very day.

Just take it easy with Ginger, don't get in too much of a rush, and don't wholly obsess about making her perfect. She'll be close, but she'd have to be garage queen status to ever be truly perfect, and I don't think that's what your intentions for her are (hopefullY). Just get her running and driving nice, but not so nicely that you're choosy about parking spaces ;) I am very happy that you are going through so much effort to truly restore the heart of her. I honestly would have just put some cleaner in the oilpan, rebuilt the trans at the shop, figured out the vacuum and electrical and driven her daily for a few year or two, so it's nice to see that someone else has the time to really make 'er special :)

What's your 'sona?

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2011, 01:25:46 PM »
I keep thinking about your vibration issues Touge.I am not familiar with the I6 engine, but I know some saythe AMCV8's had to be balanced with the flywheel on or there could be issues.Balanced internally and externally if I remember right........and between switching and useing other parts I am wondering if some componnent is just unbalanced ?

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »
I was doing a little research on the flywheel compatablity of the I6's, from what I have found, they (I6's) are all internally balanced neutral, so a 4.0 fly shouldn't throw a 258 off and vise versa (I have been thinking of doing an ax15 swap too, lol).
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2011, 09:00:52 PM »
Replacing the exhaust manifold helped out. I think the rest is just my hack transmission mount. Two of the bolts are right up against the metal on the crossmember, and the trans is supported on poly swaybar endlink bushings... Not the best of ideas. This weekend, I am going to get rid of that, and modify my crossmember properly to accept a STOCK jeep transmission mount bushing, that will take care of the rest of the vibration by far. I'm sure by now my interior has developed some permanent rattles thanks to the shortcutting, but I'll know after I get that in there this weekend. I'll post lots of pics and a writeup.

What's your 'sona?

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »
Cant wait to see the new upgrades!

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2011, 05:45:43 AM »
Well, I'm returning the transmission mount tomorrow. It doesn't even begin to match up correctly, and I'm not sure why.... Kind of a frustrating yet fun night... I decided to start fabbing my own mount using a series of pieces of tire tread and metal plates. The idea was to make a mount in which the bolts holding the mount to crossmember did not contact the transmission or the trans to bushing mounts. I didn't finish it, and in the process of putting my car back together, I lost one of the poly bushings, so I left the bolt out. I get in to drive it home, and it drives nearly smooth as glass, 90% of the engine and driveline vibration is gone! Apparently, when I drilled the holes for my current crossmember, I didn't line them up well, and I just happened to leave out the bolt that was rubbing the tube steel welded into the crossmember, transmitting everything directly from the engine and trans into the body of the car. GO FIGURE! So, I'm returning the mount tomorrow and getting my 31 dollars back, and I will ream out the holes so there is no contact with the bolts, and it should get even smoother after that :D It's incredible how much quieter Caroline is now, she's finally pleasant to drive :) Now I just need to figure out the reciprocating vibration in the front end at highway speeds. I'll be tackling that on MOnday as well.

What's your 'sona?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk