News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 12:38:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 1300 dollar fixer upper surprise project  (Read 97336 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Re: The 1300 dollar fixer upper surprise project
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2011, 07:09:25 PM »
I called that junk yard...they said they only have a couple of eagles left....but thats a couple more than most junk yards. They said they should have the headlight trim but not sure on the clutch master...I hope to go down this saturday or the next...Ill grab those for ya if they have em.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2011, 08:20:08 PM »
I called that junk yard...they said they only have a couple of eagles left....but thats a couple more than most junk yards. They said they should have the headlight trim but not sure on the clutch master...I hope to go down this saturday or the next...Ill grab those for ya if they have em.

sweet, thanks man :D
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2011, 11:15:31 PM »
Your very welcome!...its in suprisingly real good shape...not much pitting at all...I think im gonna hit that salvage joint down in Pueblo tomorrow...I look for that clutch master.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2011, 11:47:30 PM »
Hey, if ya want just PM me your mailing address and i'll mail it out to ya. Its light so Im not worried about shipping fees....let me know....By the way heres a better picture of it. It does have a small crack on the rounded edge..not all the way through and it is glued. And one of the screw holes is busted but it still attaches fine..It should do the trick until ya find a better one ;D

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2011, 11:50:18 PM »
By the way no good clutch masters to be found in pueblo...I'll keep my eye out though.

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2011, 03:08:09 AM »
Thanks a lot! address pmed

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2011, 02:23:44 AM »
Ordered a pitman arm, outer tie rod and idler arm a few days ago from rock auto, should be here next week. thankfully, this will be extremely easy, thanks to having access to a lift and all the right tools for the job :D After that, I will replace the driver side cv shaft, and the exhaust manifold. Then, it's on to new coil springs, upper control arm bushings, and shocks all around. The exhaust will be reworked, for the third time, but I'm still trying to decide which way to go, because I'd like to enjoy listening to chill music but that's hard to do with a loud car, plus, if I simply put a universal muffler on it, I will gain a bit of low end torque, and gas mileage. On the other hand, I am greatly enjoying the top end power from lower backpressure, and it sounds kinda cool. Either way, the magnaflow cat has to go, immediately. I've put the rear cargo area on hold for now, I don't have the patience to mess with it when I have so many other thigns to take care of on Caroline...

What's your 'sona?

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2011, 08:11:44 PM »

Just got the front end stuff in yesterday, I'll be able to install it Sunday.

I'm trying to decide what to go for next, I don't make much and I don't have much to work with, but every issue in need of addressing is just as important as the last.

I think I'm going to get a new fuel pump and harmonic balancer and single groove crank pulley on this next check, the engine vibration has been driving me nuts and I want to eliminate all possibilities before committing to a new flywheel and clutch kit. replacing the pump will be nice, that much less noise to deal with, and if the harmonic balancer fixes the vibrations, even better :)

After that, new exhaust manifold, for sure. I have decided that since the exhaust manifold (basically an exact copy of a Borla but cheaper) will give me a bit of a performance boost, that should make up for the stock style muffler I'll be installing. Of course, it will still be 2.5" od. I've been dealing with so much noise for so long that I'm ready for a smooth, quiet ride.

Somewhere in between here and there I will try to pick up the seats I've had my eye on in a yard in fort collins. They're nutmeg, so they'll actually match my interior, and they have absolutely no rips or tears.

After that, it's either new muffler and cat, or front suspension rework (springs, control arm bushings, new shocks on all corners).... just can't quite decide >_<

What's your 'sona?

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »
I hear ya on the noise. I have been running a set of Cherry Bombs on my Caddy for a couple years now. I am sure they are toast,but at $125 for the whole set up, it was cheaper than $500 for the set of stock Caddy ones.... and it sounds sweeeeeeeeet out of the Norstar.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2011, 11:38:21 PM »
Never a shortage of things to do on these cars....It makes it tough for guys like us on a limited budget.

By the way I was also going to ask you...Eli mentioned he had replaced something on the front end of Ginger...and I thought he said something about the cv shafts...they look pretty new..but I cant for the life of me remember what it was.

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2011, 01:39:11 AM »
Never a shortage of things to do on these cars....It makes it tough for guys like us on a limited budget.

By the way I was also going to ask you...Eli mentioned he had replaced something on the front end of Ginger...and I thought he said something about the cv shafts...they look pretty new..but I cant for the life of me remember what it was.

yeah, the cv shafts are new. Speaking of which, i am also getting one this weekend, lots cracking and popping...

What's your 'sona?

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2011, 07:29:31 PM »
So I finally had my codes pulled today...
Intake air temp sensor voltage high
coolant temp sensor voltage high (two wire)
#1 fuel injector improper fire
fan relay circuit fault
alternator field circuit fault

The last two codes are a result of the swap. The fan relay code will be gone once I convert to an electric fan and wire it into that relay. The alternator fault is because the alternator used on the 4.0 is computer controlled, it kicks on when the computer tells it to, and the only way to fix that is to swap to a 4.0 alternator, which I will not be doing.

The other three codes, however, must be addressed, as the coolant temp sensor and air intake sensor play a huge part in the computer's ability to properly tune fuel trim. The fuel injector fault also obviously needs to be addressed, as it could mean a lean condition in that cylinder. I will make sure to edit the EFI swap writeup to include the two codes mentioned in the above paragraph.

The first three are probably the most major and primary cause of my engine vibration, and the awesome part is electrical can be a little tricky to diagnose, but parts are FAR cheaper to replace than major engine components, and the problem can be pinpointed, proven, and fixed (this is why I LOVE efi, and why carburetors are obsolete). I have two spare unused injectors, as I bought a set of eight when I initially upgraded them. So, I just need to break out the multimeter and see what I can find....

First though, I'm going to replace the parts on my front end tonight, it's supposed to snow and I'd rather not have snow and slush dripping on me with the car in the air...

What's your 'sona?

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2011, 09:41:56 PM »
After seeing how Caroline performs Im dead set on upgrading Ginger to EFI someday. It really is a much more reliable and powerful setup.

Hope the front end repairs go smoothly!!

take care
shane

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2011, 08:41:53 PM »
After seeing how Caroline performs Im dead set on upgrading Ginger to EFI someday. It really is a much more reliable and powerful setup.

Hope the front end repairs go smoothly!!

take care
shane

well... I ended up not needing the parts XD. I inspected them when I took them off and they are all tight as a drum, and the part numbers are moog as well, so I'm going to either sell the parts in the boxes or return them. If I don't have any replies by tonight I will return them

Also, I can help you out with EFI stuff, I know the harness very well...Just make sure you include the head and cam ;)

What's your 'sona?

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2011, 10:58:37 PM »
Do you have your stock "check engine" light wired up to the 4.0 ECM? Also, do you have it set up where cycling the ignition on-off-on-off-on flashes the codes?
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk