News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:24:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: advice from a newb , to all the other newbs  (Read 49416 times)

Offline kral

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
advice from a newb , to all the other newbs
« on: July 27, 2007, 08:43:02 AM »
Congratulation  newbie you have just found a primo site, great help,great people, a big THANK YOU to all those who make this site work.Now for the advice , run as fast as you can to photobucket or whatever photo sharing site you like and setup an account .A picture is worth a 10000 words or at least 20 new posts,  a pic of your tech problem will  help those who are trying to help you, case in point, please read this post.http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=5191.0, alot good advice here, BUT, things might gone a little bit better if they could have this
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x242/kk359/choke3.jpg, I know it would have saved me at least $10, it was a ride that I was going to buy ,but didnt.DANG IT.
Go setup your account NOW..
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 01:41:27 PM by vangremlin »

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: advice from a newb , to all the other newbs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 08:44:46 AM »
Thanks Kral!  You have been "egged".  In fact I am going to sticky this one.  Great advice!
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline kral

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 08:46:48 AM »
Only trying to help.

pLaYtHiNg

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 02:09:32 AM »
That is great advice!  i am sure the new kids on the block will put it to use!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline egrainger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 09:27:05 AM »
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeere pictures pictures pictures pictures pictures pictures...

Offline shedevilonwheels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »
I have the EXACT problem with my wagon.  I replaced the solenoid and it worked but then didn;t again.   There is a hose that keeps popping off and when it pops off the car idles hard or won;t start...pop the hose back in place and it runs beautifully.  I don't have the car at my house right now (it is getting rocker panels welded) but when it is back I plan to figure it out.  It was too cold before anyways to work on it.
I will get pictures if I can not figure it out easily.

I will use your problem to help with mine...thanks!

Offline soloeagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 08:02:39 AM »
Good early morn here is Wisconsin!  Glad to have found your site. I unknowingly bought a 1984 eagle wagon.  I don't know a hill of beans about it.  It was sitting in the person's yard for a while.  It has 144938 miles on it.  It is not as pretty as the other eagles I see here.  But, I love it.  Found out that it has 4 wheel drive---cool, cool, cool, for the winter.
The reason I found your site is because I need a manual to at least SEE where everything it at.  I have a ton of questions.  I see it has a choke;  :o had to learn that.  Any directions where I can get a user-friendly car manual since it didn't come with one?

Offline smokeseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 11:49:13 PM »
you can get chilton manual on the eagle from ebay or advance auto parts stores thats where i got mine

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 04:32:47 PM »
Chilton is OK if you can't find anything else -- it does have several errors in it.  You can usually find reprints or OE manuals on ebay and we offer the '82/'83 TSM on a 1GB memory stick.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 10:56:21 PM »
Yeah I thought I got a steal on my "brand new" chilton's.... yeah, something got stolen allright... the detailed instructions!!!

I'm still waiting to buy my TSM... mostly I just use the forums here for my issues.

Great advice though guy!
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

amcbigeagle

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 05:15:21 PM »
Oh yes, the infamous Chilton's manual. Mavericke is dead on as these lovely things are just about useless when facing something other than changing the oil or turning on the dome light. I lucked upon an '82 TSM in very good condition at the Clark County (Oh) swap meet and it is one of the SINGLE BEST INVESTMENTS I've ever made. Not only is it a fascinating read (shades of Mr Scott here) but it also has detailed step-by-step instructions on how to do just about anything you'd ever want to on these cars, from removing the entire dashboard to going through the transfer case. Also invaluable info on removing trim items, in particular the plastic inserts on the Eagle 2-door rear windows, a minefield without instructions. So by all means put finding a TSM at the top of your list. You won't regret it.

Offline Lynx_Gen

• Apprenti Mekanic, pro tinkerer
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • The eagle has flowen the coop!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 10:02:31 PM »
Or if have a good friend that works at a shop u can get em 2 print off any needed info from Alldata or similar 2 get u by till u get a Tsm... I work at a shop n we hav alldata which has saved  me... However id love 2 get a copy of a tsm of my own 2 oogle over!
For all your vac/emissions/computer related and such stuff, see here:
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

"Why fix your brakes? all they do is slow you down?"
"The nut behind the wheel is loose..."
1982 AMC Eagle wagon limited, Auto, 258, a constant work in progress... (needs tranny repaired/replaced)
1980s ish tent trailor... needs a 6" lift and re-wiring, and wiring harness fabbed for the eagle.
1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 2.3T.. Now gone, R.I.P. I have the engine, harness and ECU.. the rest donated to a good cause.. Fireman practice (they light it on fire then put it out!)
1985 Merkur XR4Ti.. the 2013 demo derby car - compact car class (hoping to find old buick skylark bumper to put on it! BAHAHAHAA!!!)
1986 Nissan 200sx, notch, 5spd, ca20e.. my toy. patiently waiting for engine swap and various mods and goodies... my little road legal go cart for auto-x and drift etc.
91 pimped out dakota sport 4x4.
95 ford ranger (with the 86 merkur turbo engine, not quite done yet.)
97 Tahoe
2001 ford windstar

92 Yamaha warrior (quad-350) engine broke, again.. >.<

2001 kawasaki KX.. WEEEEEEHAAAA! (my main toy till next spring, then its trade in with Income tax mula for a 250, but prolly gona be a dual sport, so maybe even a bigger bike... still undecided)
1982 Honda Magna 750(V45)

1980s Kawahara BMX! custom bars, gt 3spkoe rims, ORYG(Gyro), etc etc

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• American Muscle Conspiracy #000001
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
  • Time Travel in the Sonoran Desert
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 02:51:30 AM »
If you've ever been just FRUSTRATED out of your gourd when a Chilton's tells you,

"If you need this service performed, take the car to a dealer",

The Technical Service Manual is the book the dealer would be using to do it the way the factory wants it done.

If there WAS a dealer, I mean...

Or a factory.

Nowadays, that's just you.  And of course, all of us @ the AMC Eagle Nest!   8)

-mike

Nashin' and Thrashin'
1966 Rambler American 343 Convertible
1981 Eagle Kammback- Kactus Kammster

RamblerMan

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 05:45:45 PM »
Howdy, I just hatched and want to Introduce Myself to every one. My name is Craig and I currently own a 1984 AMC Eagle Wagon. I have loved these cars since they were introduced in 1980, owned a 1981 with the auto 4 wheel drive(never stayed in 4wheel when I needed it) but it was a great car that left an impression on me. I am an AMC Fan as you can tell by my user name, and also own a 1964 Rambler Cross Country Wagon. I also have a soft spot for Wagons. I have learned a lot turning wrenches for the past 30 years and have learned a lot since I owned that 81 back in 1988. I joined this sight so I can continue to learn, I say you stop learning when you stop breathing. Anywho, I just wanted to say Howdy to all!  Craig, RamblerMan
P.S. couldn't figure out how to place a new posting so I used the reply button, any suggestions?

65cuda

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 04:53:12 PM »
Congratulation  newbie you have just found a primo site, great help,great people, a big THANK YOU to all those who make this site work.Now for the advice , run as fast as you can to photobucket or whatever photo sharing site you like and setup an account .A picture is worth a 10000 words or at least 20 new posts,  a pic of your tech problem will  help those who are trying to help you, case in point, please read this post.http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=5191.0, alot good advice here, BUT, things might gone a little bit better if they could have this
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x242/kk359/choke3.jpg, I know it would have saved me at least $10, it was a ride that I was going to buy ,but didnt.DANG IT.
Go setup your account NOW..
Where or how do you put the list of vehicles on your page?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk