News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:08:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Most rear defroster lines not working  (Read 6001 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Most rear defroster lines not working
« on: April 02, 2016, 05:10:54 PM »
So, most of my rear defroster lines aren't working.  The problem is the electrical connectors to the window have partially come away from the window.  Is there any way to fix this without replacing the rear window?

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
Re: Most rear defroster lines not working
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 08:37:48 PM »
There is a wire kit/repair for the wires. If you feel the wires that don't work, they will be a bit rough/broken.
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-09117-Complete-Window-Defogger/dp/B000ALBZJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459643784&sr=8-1&keywords=rear+defroster+repair+kit
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 10:01:15 PM »
The wires are not broken, it is the connectors that go down the sides of the window that have come away from the wires.  Note the gaps in the pictures between the connectors and the wires.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:33:14 PM by priya »

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 10:25:37 PM »
    Hello,  If the copper trace can't be cleaned and re-soldered to... might try this ( see link ). but may have to epoxy wire to the window to make sure it stays put.  Hope this helps !!                    Iron Horse  :o

http://www.hisco.com/Catalog/Adhesives-Sealants-Tapes/Dispensing-Equipment-Accessories/Adhesive-Dispensing-Equipment-Accessories/CW2000-9700?gclid=COu3itbpj80CFU6BfgodZKIHIQ

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 12:10:57 PM »
    Hello,  If the copper trace can't be cleaned and re-soldered to... might try this ( see link ). but may have to epoxy wire to the window to make sure it stays put.  Hope this helps !!                    Iron Horse  :o

http://www.hisco.com/Catalog/Adhesives-Sealants-Tapes/Dispensing-Equipment-Accessories/Adhesive-Dispensing-Equipment-Accessories/CW2000-9700?gclid=COu3itbpj80CFU6BfgodZKIHIQ

I don't know anything about "cleaning and re-soldering" the "copper trace".  What is involved in this?  I heard one fellow try to solder on the rear window and the rear window broke.

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »
try this place they have repairs and whole replacements not cheap but looks like they know what their doing
https://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 12:36:47 PM »
try this place they have repairs and whole replacements not cheap but looks like they know what their doing
https://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm

Thanks Dave.  Looks promising but their show their tab connector repair for connecting the single metal tab to one point on the defroster grid, I'm not sure it will work with the type of multiple point seperation I have.  I've emailed them a picture of my problem and asked if their product will work on the type of failure I have.  If I don't hear back from them I'll probably give it a go anyway, I've got nothing to lose by trying it.

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 10:32:51 PM »
Hi,   The pen in the link I sent contains a liquid conductor that hardens once exposed to air .. To kleen the connection points use an ink eraser or could try steel wool wrapped around a cotton swab. once the connection points are cleaned up ..apply the liquid conductor to the cleaned connections .. use tape to hold in place until the liquid cond. sets up. don't be afraid to apply liquid cond. must use enough to make good connection .. there will be some "squeeze out" which can be manipulate with a tooth pick around the connection .. it will start to dry quickly. Try a test case on a piece of glass so you'll know how the stuff acts .. wish I was there to help .. this is what I do ... Boeing Instrumentation. While the tape is still holding the connections in place .. use some dabs of 5 minute epoxy like every 1/2 inch to hold the wire down .. super glue might work but is messy and sometimes leaves a white residue.   :o

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 03:15:31 PM »
Silver based conductive pen .. more $$ though..    link: http://www.hisco.com/Catalog/Soldering-Rework/Soldering-Equipment-Accessories/Conductive-Pens/CW100P-8211  ....  FYI: these pens don't store well ( dry out ) the 5 gram size would probably be big enough for the job.            NOTE:  product information .. actually mentions rear window defogger traces.   :o
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 03:21:30 PM by IRON HORSE »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 12:26:04 PM »
Thanks Iron Horse.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk