News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:19:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2nd to 3rd shift  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Chubbs

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
2nd to 3rd shift
« on: December 04, 2019, 10:36:02 PM »
So I have had the Eagle for about a month and a half now and since I've owned it, it hasn't shifted from 2nd to 3rd properly, in D. When in D, it always felt like it shifted to 3rd too early and if your foot was into the throttle, it would rev up before going into third, like it shifted slowly. The previous owner said it never did that for him, when I emailed him about it which I call bull. But when I bought it, the Motorcraft carb adapter was loose so I had to pump the living :censored: out of the throttle for 10 minutes before it would run, so I thought maybe there was some Linkage that came loose.

But now, ever since I replaced the Intake and exhaust manifold gaskets and had to unbolt the throttle linkages, it has been worse, it seems to kick down too early between 40-60km/h, when there's a slight hill and you give it more throttle, then goes back into third when you get onto level ground again.

I can drive around just fine, when I put it into 2 instead of D and just upshift into D around 50km/h.
Is there some kind of Adjustment I'm missing here? Does the Motorcraft carb Linkage T not actuate the TV rod properly?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: 2nd to 3rd shift
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 05:31:47 AM »
http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Throttle_Cable/Rod_Adjustment_-_4_%26_6_Cylinder_Cars

For the motor craft carb there are different ways I have seen for the tranny hookup. So I cannot say on your setup, since I do not know it.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Chubbs

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 08:50:27 PM »
Totally forgot to post.
I adjusted the rod out more. I had believed I was out of adjustment on it cause after loosening both the screws, it only moved back and forth  a little bit. It just needed some more brute force cause it was rusted in place a bit. Basically I adjusted it until the shift points felt better. Before it would shift into second gear under normal acceleration around 13-16km/h, then into 3rd around 25km/h.
Now it shifts into 2nd around 25km/h and into third at 40-45km/h unless under light acceleration.
 It still revs up shifting into 3rd if I keep my foot on the gas, but since it shifts at a higher speed, I just let off the gas around 40km/h and it shifts fine. Feels a lot less slower now, acceleration was awful before, with how soon it shifted.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:52:08 PM by Chubbs »

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 10:40:55 AM »
I had the same problem and my linkage was all rusted up and it took quite the effort to adjust it. Well it only helped a tiny bit.

Can you post a pic of your linkage setting? I'm not sure how to adjust it because I tried to follow the instructions exactly (taking the spring off and putting it down lower on the rod, etc.) but I failed.

My 1-2 shift is too early and the 2-3 feels like it's slipping a bit if accelerating normally. But if I use more than a regular amount of "gas" it shifts better (higher RPM it doesn't slip on the 2-3 shift).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:49:30 AM by 86Woodgrain »

Offline Chubbs

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 02:43:09 PM »
Not sure how much these will help if you have the original carb, cause I have the Motorcraft carb swap

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk