News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:47:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Tank Removal  (Read 2915 times)

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Fuel Tank Removal
« on: July 12, 2014, 09:01:38 PM »
My gas tank has developed a small leak that I would like to fix. I know that the hoses have to be disconnected and the wire for the sending unit has to be disconnected. Is that a squeeze disconnect, or does it just pull out? I can't really see it. Also, what has to be done with the filler neck to remove the tank? Thanks.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: Fuel Tank Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 11:42:19 AM »
If you look over the top of the passenger rear wheel you'll see the top of the sending unit. You will want to spray down the hanger bolts that are in front of the tank with a penetrating fluid, WD40, PB Blaster etc. they will need to soak for awhile. There are four bolts under the license plate that you will remove, two that hold the filler neck and two that bolt the bracket to the body. Pull the neck up and out.
Next will be the hoses. You might be able to get at the hoses if you remove the wheel. There are two hoses that have the worm gear clamps on them that you will remove along with the hoses. Make it easier by just cutting the hoses and replacing them during reassembly. There is also a ground wire that needs to be disconnected at the body. Now support the tank with a floor jack and a piece of plywood between the tank and jack. Those bolts are next, those are the hardest part. When you have it all out it would be wise to pull out the sending unit and at least clean the pick up screen.
I just got a new tank for $120 because of  rust  When you put it back together use new hoses and clamps even at the fuel pump,
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk