News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 08:16:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Headlight Switch Issues  (Read 5634 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Headlight Switch Issues
« on: July 15, 2012, 09:13:19 PM »
Yesterday, the headlight switch pushed through the dash when I went to turn it off. The plastic screw stripped after 30 years, and finally gave way. That part is now fixed. However, upon trying to reinstall it, the headlights (lo-beams) no longer turn on.  I've tried everything short of removing the dash, which I want to avoid if possible.

It must have caused a few other electrical problems, because the hi-beam indicator doesn't light anymore. It also blew the fuse for the parking lamps, which I replaced and checked the other fuses (all good). The hi-beams still work, and so do the parking/interior lights. All the bulbs in the car are good.

I replaced the headlight switch today to no avail. I then tried some suggestions mentioned in previous posts, including testing with the high beams removed and cleaning a ground wire at the firewall. Nothing has worked, and I've run out of ideas. Anything I might be missing?
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
Re: Headlight Switch Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 11:38:03 PM »
check the grounds behind the headlamps
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:06:11 PM »
I noticed that between my Pacer and Eagle, the threaded nut went from metal to plastic, but the switch is the same style and pins.

You can pull the cluster out of the dash, which is easier then pulling the whole thing apart, but there might be enough wiring harness that you could pop the switch out and fish it down to where you can get a good look at it and get at it with a multimeter. At the least, you can check your switch for continuity.

Here are the pinouts on the switch.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, and that link Ben.

I almost feel like the new switch I got might have something wrong with it, because nothing else really makes sense to me.

Not sure what grounds behind the headlights you mean, but I'm about to take a look at my TSM in a few minutes. Also need to find the dimmer switch, haven't had much chance to do it the past few days with work and high temps.

The reason I don't want to pull the dash isn't necessarily the difficulty, but because I'm literally this problem away from having my Eagle on the road and it will set me back again. The thing is, having it on the road will also mean having a much better place to work on it, and possibly having more hands to help also.

I checked all the fuses again, and all are good. I even replaced some for good measure. It's not acting like there is anything wrong with the wiring near the switch (the only place it was disturbed when the switch fell out) because I wiggled the wires in every spot with the lights on and nothing changed. In fact, the wires look practically brand new and are neatly wrapped behind the dash. I tried repositioning the ground wire on it because I couldn't think of anything else, still no luck.

Can anyone tell me how to go about testing the new switch? I have a cheapo multimeter, just don't know much about electrical systems yet.

Ben, I may just have to search for one of those metal screws from a Pacer in the future.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 11:17:48 PM »
I did try replacing the lo-beams with new bulbs I already had, but still nothing. I'll test the connections tomorrow when I can finally get a chance to work on it. My dad is taking a look at the wiring diagram now, so hopefully he can figure something out. He knows a good bit about electricity.

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
Did you ever check the dimmer switch under the column like Casper suggested? It's the switch that turns the high beams on and off.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 03:48:29 PM »
I don't believe the headlight switch has anything to do with your problem. The dimmer switch on the column switches between high and low beams, as Casper and Ammachine390 have suggested. As long as the high beams come on, the light switch should be providing power to the dimmer switch and the problem should be between the dimmer switch and the wiring to the low beams. Check your connection at the dimmer switch and its adjustment first, thencheck for power at the low beam connection.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »
Third (er 4th?) check the dimmer switch. Its on the top of the steering column behind the dash or package tray - its easier to work on all the electrical stuff under the dash with the package tray removed, if you have one. The dimmer switch has a pushrod linkage inside the column connecting it to the turn signal lever - if that rod has come out of the "cup" it sits in on the switch, especially if it came out the last time you tried to hit the high beams, then its not switching anything when you pull the lever, and the high/lo beam switch stays on whatever it was set to when the rod came out. The switch's position on the column is adjustable, so it could be too far down the column for the pushrod to get it to latch from high back to low even if the rod is still engaged with the switch, which might happen if the adjustment slipped.

The high beam indicator not working anymore could just be a failed bulb in the dash cluster. Someone with tiny hands and is a contortionist with a decent tolerance of pain can reach the bulb and twist it out to replace it without having to take the cluster out. You can gain a lil bit of working room by removing the screws that hold the woodgrain dash plastics to the dash pad and dash substructure.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 08:35:08 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone. Casper, you called it. I tested and replaced the old dimmer switch and everything is now fine and dandy. I'm an idiot though, because I was thinking the hi-beams were on the outside. It was shutting off both lights with the hi-beams switched off, and allowing the lo-beams to turn on with the hi-beams switched on. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the system, hopefully the new switches last.

Eggs around!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk