News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:58:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Swapping 2.35 gears out of the front... questions  (Read 82419 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Swapping 2.35 gears out of the front... questions
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »
Is there a Dana part number on the Eagle carrier? Maybe it is shared with another vehicle?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eagleone

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 73
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 09:46:52 PM »
Profeagle !! Long time no hear from. I'm interested in the 3.08 gears if you are willing to part with them.
By the way, a guy from Port Severn says he has a parts Eagle he wants me to see.
1981 SX/4 (Baby Bugly))
1986 Eagle Wagon (Bugly)
"The system you are using is perfect for the results you are getting."

Offline profeagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 22
  • This is my new Eagle
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 12:01:51 AM »
YES, HAVE 3.08 GEARS FOR SALE AND MORE STUFF.

Do you want to get together to see Eagle in Port Severn ?

Offline eagleone

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 73
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 07:21:49 AM »
I am available on Saturday, I'll have to call him and see when he is around.
1981 SX/4 (Baby Bugly))
1986 Eagle Wagon (Bugly)

Offline profeagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 22
  • This is my new Eagle
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »
Sorry, I can't make it Sat. as I am in Iowa and won't be home then. I am available anytime after Sunday, day or eve.

Offline eagleone

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 73
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 04:48:04 PM »
No problem. I may go up and get some pictures.
1981 SX/4 (Baby Bugly))
1986 Eagle Wagon (Bugly)

Smitch

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 04:52:08 PM »
I love it up around Port Severn, Coldwater and Honey Harbour. Beautiful country and mighty rocky!!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 09:26:24 PM »
My brain works in weird ways some times. I was sitting on the throne when It came to me that Mick put a locker in the front of his IFS. So I thought if he fit a locker than it should be a somewhat standard carrier. Well when I searched for his post he said the Eagle has E clips not C clips so a D30 locker won't work. He used a D35 Locker and had the axles custom machined to work with it. So the E clip thing may be why the Eagle carriers are unique.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 07:44:18 PM »
This thread has been extremely  useful to me over the last few days. I have Thrash Differential of SATX working on my Eagle's front axle right now, and I now know that the 3.55 gears we have ordered will not work on the Jeep carrier we were planning on using. Its because there are actually more than two carriers for the D30 ! Now I know I need an Eagle 2.73/3.07 carrier. Hmmm, I wonder if trapperjack has one?

Eggs to you, dansvan, for the comparison pics. I'm gonna print this thread for my gear installer.

Here's a link for y'all to play with - it has a calculator that gives you a way to compare entire drivetrain combinations. I tested it recently with my MJ, and it seems relatively close enough to reality, but not exact. I used the site, along with real world testing using my MJ with my Eagle's 245/55r16 (25.65 inch diameter "rubber band") tires on it to determine that 3.07 gears (MJ has 3.07s in it)  would be best for my Eagle if I was married to that tire set, but I'm thinking of going bigger in the future(like real soon, 18" wheels, maybe), so I decided to go with the 3.55's instead. Here's the link:
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:35:26 PM by txjeeptx »
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »
I have run into an issue. I have Jack's '80 parts sedan's 3.07 carrier(with the 3.55 aftermkt ring gear on it) next to my car's factory 2.35 carrier. The two are identical.  ???  On the left is the Eagle 3.07 carrier with the ring gear of my aftermarket 3.55s attached, and on the right is the Eagle 2.35 carrier from my car's factory front axle.

For reference, the next pic has a Jeep 3.07 carrier in it on the far left. The middle is the same Eagle 3.07 carrier with the 3.55 ring gear, and on the is the right Eagle 2.35 carrier.

Sorry, my crackberry doesn't like to take pics in fluorescent lighting. I'll bring my better camera with me when we get the Jeep 3.73 carrier in, which I informed them should not  work, but its worth a try. My search for a carrier that will work with the aftermarket gears continues . . .
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 06:37:49 PM »
I wonder if disco and non disco axles have different carriers?

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 11:45:26 AM »
This is a good thread.

I am suprised by all this.  Man, talk about a nightmare to figure out!  There are SO MANY versions of the D30,  hard to keep it all straight.  Once this is all sorted out, maybe Doug can put this as a sticky in the axle section.

I also remember AKAMC had put a 3.73 gearset in his diff, wonder how he did it?
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Offline dansvan

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »
This is a good thread.

I am suprised by all this.  Man, talk about a nightmare to figure out!  There are SO MANY versions of the D30,  hard to keep it all straight.  Once this is all sorted out, maybe Doug can put this as a sticky in the axle section.

I also remember AKAMC had put a 3.73 gearset in his diff, wonder how he did it?

my 2.72 carrier was out of a disco axle if that helps.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 01:34:13 PM »
That may be the key - the '80 axle I got the 3.07 carrier from was non-disconect, and my '82 car's 2.35 carrier is from its disco axle. I'm waiting for phone calls from a couple of parts yards across the US to get a 3.54 carrier (& gears, maybe the entire housing with shafts).

Found one using a car-part.com search - turns out they have two 3.54 geared front axles from four cylinder cars. I bought one of em whole, $150 shipped to me here in TX from Massachusetts. Amherst-Oakham Auto Recycling.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:45:37 PM by txjeeptx »

Offline Rabblerouser

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Jeep trash!!!
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 10:28:42 AM »
Found one using a car-part.com search - turns out they have two 3.54 geared front axles from four cylinder cars. I bought one of em whole, $150 shipped to me here in TX from Massachusetts. Amherst-Oakham Auto Recycling.

Et ent gonna wurk without a case of old man beer and a tequila chaser. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk