News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:21:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TBI Conversion Computer Removal  (Read 5354 times)

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
TBI Conversion Computer Removal
« on: July 22, 2016, 01:33:51 PM »
Does anyone know if I can remove the computer that sits inside near the passengers right leg? I want to put the new TBI computer there if I can.   I'm not sure if this is part of the starting system as well. 

Thanks!
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: TBI Conversion Computer Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 08:58:43 PM »
hi, if you are not using the stock BBD carb, distributor, and all their related sensors, and I gather you are not, then you can remove the computer. What year is your Eagle? 83- the computer controlled only the carb; 84+ it controlled both carb. and distributor. What kind of TBI are you using? good luck, gz

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 09:51:57 AM »
I have a 82 sx4. Thanks fot the info.  I found the guy on ebay called Performance fuel injection.  The kit is a grand. It comes with everything you need. She's running pretty well. I haven't really been able to road test it yet. I'm in the process of hard mounting everything at the the moment.  Need to fab a kick down rod next. So far so good.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 12:22:28 PM »
hi, never heard of PFI, looks like a pretty cool system, kind of like the Howell. thanks for the tip. If you can, post a couple of pics of your engine, and how did you plumb the fuel pump? thanks, gz

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 02:33:29 PM »
Here you go.  The wiring still needs to be cleaned up a bit.  The fuel pump was pretty straight forward. I bought 15 feet of FI fuel line for the inlet. I mounted the pump on the back side of the rear seat pan so it's sitting perpendicular to the car frame. I originally had it mounted the frame but I was concerned about the how much weather and other things it would be exposed to so i put it up higher. The directions say, as as the pump is mounted even with the lower  25% of the tank you are good. Seems to work fine for now. Again this is all pretty new.  The TBI unit has an inlet and outlet for gas.  I just ran the inlet hose along the frame and used plastic ties to hold it in place.  The direction say to time it to advance the timing 8 degrees at 650 to 750 idle speed.  She runs  bit rough but starts and revs up fine. Seems to have plenty of power. I'm not sure if I have a vacuum leak someplace or what.

I ran the electrical through the inside along the floor board and drilled a whole just above the fuel pump.  And that's all she wrote.  Pretty simple. It just took a while to plan it out.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 11:56:06 PM »
looks good! what brand HEI is that, looks like you are not running the vac advance, good luck, gz

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »
I don't believe you need a vacuum advance once you go tbi. The computer should do the work now.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 11:54:28 AM »
Very nice.  Thanks for the pics.  I've seen that TBI setup on eBay and thought maybe someday I'd give it a go.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline wkdivr

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 12:06:13 PM »
I mkow this is an old thread, but that set-up loks pretty interesting, AND doable

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 10:03:06 AM »
Hey Beaverseagle it's been 1-1/2 year since you installed this how do you like it any issue's I'm thinking of going this route

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 11:40:19 AM »
It's rock solid.  I've moved to Washington state and drove my Eagle  from  Chicago with no issues.  She's been running all over the mountains like a champ.  I've put about 8k miles on her since the TBI.

I've had no failures of the system at all.  I've been using her as my daily driver. She starts instantly every morning, idles up fine. 

I would buy again.

I've been thinking about putting a 4.0 head and MPFI on in the future.  But if you want to keep everything stock and want the performance of a FI this is a great way to go.

The only thing I would have done differently is upgraded to a 4 barrel setup before I ordered.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »
Thanks for the info you've given me so far on this swap.  I bought this system also and am just getting geared up to install it.

I had a 4.0 head installed on my Kammback a few years ago, so this will mate up with that, I'll let everyone know the results. 

PS, if you're thinking about buying this setup, they usually have a Black Friday sale of $100 off after Thanksgiving.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 11:54:30 PM »
I have done this same set up on my Eagle with a 4.0 head Its been working great for me as well.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline SparkyB

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 11:54:21 AM »
I have their tbi setup on my Grand Wagoneer and it’s been great. Thinking about getting it for the Eagle now. Good to hear some positive feedback from you guys about it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk