News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 06:09:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Deleting air injection  (Read 2750 times)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Deleting air injection
« on: October 06, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »
Okay I give up. How do you guys do this after you change manifolds? I have spent countless hours searching everywhere for anyone that sells exhaust plugs and NO ONE delivers on this. 4WD Hardware sells some half-sized crap that has the right threading but useless. Every industrial place in town has no idea what this is because it's a hydraulic fitting using fine metric thread while the OD measures 7/8" and everyone's catalog only goes up to 3/4" before they point me off to a wild goose chase that x company might have it. How am I supposed to get around this issue? I don't have a welder and fabrication is out of the question.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Deleting air injection
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:06:10 PM »
I picked some pipe plugs up at an old-time auto parts place. Not one of the big chains, but a place that has the counter built on a set of drawers full of hardware. I went in with a bolt and we found a very close thread. Just install them with some exhaust system sealer and they'll hold.

They used to be available at Team Wagoneer's website, and many other places. Most of the aftermarket manifolds needed plugs because they're universal and I believe AMC used them to cap factory fresh ones until they ran out of the old casting.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Deleting air injection
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »
They used to be available at Team Wagoneer's website
GRAH! O_o
Most of the aftermarket manifolds needed plugs because they're universal and I believe AMC used them to cap factory fresh ones until they ran out of the old casting.
It finally dawned on me less than a few hours since I posted this that 18m is a VERY COMMON thread but any bolt bigger than 3/4" is the major outlier that makes finding these next to impossible. Add to that my issue of figuring out how to search for specific bolts(for future reference the tag is 7/8"-18m) and this issue is just a huge mess. My mind is focused on the wrong stuff. I'm in the wrong headspace. My friend's Hornet uses this size and I have no idea why. I'm guessing his rebuilt 232 isn't from a Hornet but some Wagoneer that has these HUGE oil pan plugs that have been immediately put out of circulation ever since the last J-anything. The support still exists but it's barely there and way overpriced. Dorman part# is 090-011 and it's a real chore to find whether you're at O'Reilly's, NAPA, Central, Fastenal, Airgas, hydraulic shops or tractor supply places.

I was lucky enough to get mine from a NAPA in the next town for a few bucks. Most shops like Baxter want $$. Now I can finally reuse my intake manifold. Yay. :)
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk