News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:49:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 81 SX/4 Project  (Read 9686 times)

Offline BlackIce05

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
My 81 SX/4 Project
« on: March 16, 2011, 01:59:03 PM »
I've been meaning to put pictures of this car up for a while now but have been too busy to get it up here. Thought I'd get it on here though so some of you can see what you've been helping me with. It is a 1981 sx/4 sport with the 258 6cyl and an automatic transmission. Car has alot of options including a factory sunroof! I bought this car from a local junkyard literally a few hours before it was to be crushed!. It had been sitting there for a few years when I found it. I was able to put a battery in it. replace a belt and change a flat tire and add some fresh gas and it started right up! Since then I've had to put a transmission in it. Redo the vacuum system, change the oil, and put a new half shaft on it. It is basically ready to be a daily driver now but I'm still having issues getting it to idle. There is still alot of work left to be done before it is ready to show off but at least it's driveable now :). These are pictures from the day I got it at the junkyard. I will try to add more recent pictures next time I'm home but since I'm driving a truck OTR it's slow going. Will update when I can.  Since I'm unable to get the idle problems straightened out and have a line on a cherokee I'm probably going to go the stroker route this summer. That should be fun but can't wait to see the outcome!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:03:32 PM by BlackIce05 »

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
Re: My 81 SX/4 Project
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 03:28:35 PM »
Very nice save, looks from the pictures to be a pretty solid survivor.  That's a pretty decent paint job to given to be given to the junkyard...wonder why they would give up on the car so fast?  But Egg to you, and keep us updated on this.  :amc:
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BlackIce05

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:35:49 PM »
Yes it's very solid top to bottom. Very minimal rust underneath and no rust on the body. I'll try to get better pics next time I'm home. Those looked alot better on my phone. Paint is oxidized pretty bad but doesn't show on the pictures for some reason. I'm going to have to find some new springs though, the poor old car is sagging pretty bad. Also forgot to mention I had to put on a steering damper to get rid of a bad death wobble. All in all though not too bad for a $200 car :). From what I could find out on the PO they used the car to drive around on a farm, thought it was too old to drive on the highway(some people just gotta have new ya know) then it broke the belt and they couldn't find the right one so they junked it. When I first got it the tranny was ok, not great but worked but then somehow the TC broke and that killed it quick. I'm hoping to get the car painted this summer but can't decide whether to keep the stock colors or not.

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 03:54:52 PM »
Yes it's very solid top to bottom. Very minimal rust underneath and no rust on the body. I'll try to get better pics next time I'm home. Those looked alot better on my phone. Paint is oxidized pretty bad but doesn't show on the pictures for some reason. I'm going to have to find some new springs though, the poor old car is sagging pretty bad. Also forgot to mention I had to put on a steering damper to get rid of a bad death wobble. All in all though not too bad for a $200 car :). From what I could find out on the PO they used the car to drive around on a farm, thought it was too old to drive on the highway(some people just gotta have new ya know) then it broke the belt and they couldn't find the right one so they junked it. When I first got it the tranny was ok, not great but worked but then somehow the TC broke and that killed it quick. I'm hoping to get the car painted this summer but can't decide whether to keep the stock colors or not.
$200 BUCKS ??? ??? ??? ???  :o :o :o :o :o WOW what a steal!!! But I do vote for stock colors, it's worth more that way.  And when people ask you: "Is that how the car came from the factory..?" you can say: "Darn Right"... and be proud of a such a "Stock" sporty machine...especially from the ...'80s LOL   Not many cars from the 80's turned heads lol ...cept like a delorean, which had AMC parts in it!  ;D
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »
I see it has a "sportorized" Concord grill.  Nothing wrong with that.  You got a heck of a deal.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »
is that a concord grille or an 80 eagle grille? I don't see the vertical bars
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 03:07:16 AM »
X2 on the original colours. Was that a drivers side half shaft? My 81 concord owners manual has an add on page for it's sunroof. Aparently the sunroof option was not popular enough to have it in the manual making it a rare option I guess. All they did was add a sunroof after the fact just like an aftermarket one. Make sure you never break it since there are no parts available for it at all.
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Good looking SX4!! Great buy for $200.00!! You could maybe polish out the paint (especially if it is original paint) if it is in good condition under the oxidized paint.

Offline BlackIce05

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 11:27:36 AM »
It was the passenger side half shaft that was bad. I don't believe it is a concord grille because the bars are horizontal and I thought the concord grille had the bars vertical. Am I right on this? Anyhow thanks for all of the nice comments :) I too am leaning towards original colors, hadn't thought about being able to polish out the oxidation. The sunroof has a fairly unique design compared to most sunroofs (non-eagle) that I've seen. I'll try to get a couple pictures of it next time I'm home. It seems to be in good shape though. There is a plastic tab that is missing and it does leak a bit though, but otherwise fully functional.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 09:10:15 PM »
Here are the grilles in the parts catalog, found after the rest of the cooling stuff.  Kind of looks like an '80 -'81 Spirit/Concord grille..

http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Group_2_Cooling_-_Grille

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline BlackIce05

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 09:23:09 PM »
Yep mine is the 2nd grille under G-11. I was curious what it came from originally. I do like it though, need to find me another one. I'm in the process of trying to fix this one. I have an egg crate grille that I ran across but it just doesn't look right on the car. So should the car have originally had the egg crate then? And since it's a sport the grille should have been blacked out right?

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 12:28:17 AM »
X2 on the original colours. Was that a drivers side half shaft? My 81 concord owners manual has an add on page for it's sunroof. Aparently the sunroof option was not popular enough to have it in the manual making it a rare option I guess. All they did was add a sunroof after the fact just like an aftermarket one. Make sure you never break it since there are no parts available for it at all.

The seals are shot on mine , and black electrical tape keeps it in check for now.Though it did survive that big tree falling onit, but takeing out the hatch, so guess I am lucky there.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 06:19:22 AM »
Yes egg crate and if a Sport model, which I believe yours is, then blacked out.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline BlackIce05

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 06:50:39 PM »
Ok I have a few newer pics that show the problems with the paint a little better. Also shows my testing colors on the front end. I'm in the process of repairing the grill and am trying to decide whether to stay with the factory black(sport) or chrome trim. Any input on the chrome or black and if the paint is repairable at all or if I just need to break down and get a new paint job would be appreciated. I am going to replace the passenger fender so I figure I'll end up getting it painted...hopefully this summer while the engine is out. The roof looks like it could be polished up but you can see the white or light spots on the sides. Also just another update but I've secured a 94 Cherokee that'll donate most of the parts I need for my stroker :)

Offline JSK

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • ...one day at a time...
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 10:12:30 PM »
Excellent find and save!! Congratulations. The plate says Missouri - are you in Missouri?? There are only a few of us I believe, and I think we're all in the St. Louis area (dodging tornados).
Jerry Kane
Saint Louis, Missouri
1981 SX/4 Sport Dk Grey/black, 6cyl-4spd with a/c and LOUVERS!

Offline BlackIce05

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 07:13:58 AM »
Yes I live in MO, down by Rolla and Fort Leonardwood

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 11:54:17 PM »
I hate to say it but that paint is too far gone. Waxing it would only remove the little that is left :( In my personal opinion, and this could be considered heresy by some, but unless the car is all black, trim should be chrome. It is after all, an 80's 'merikan car ;)
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline BlackIce05

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 12:31:52 AM »
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking with the paint, I was just confused because it looks like clear coat peeling in places but I didn't think they used clear coat in 81. Not real sure why I think that just seems like I've read it somewhere. Also thinking along the same lines as you with the chrome. On one hand I like the chrome on the other it just seems like I should put it back to stock. Don't know.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 04:04:59 AM »
well i can say for sure they did in 80 as eagle eyes's clear coat is peeling like crazy.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Prafeston

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 02:28:03 PM »
Hey man, I too live in Rolla. I'm a fan of the Eagle. Have never even driven one, but have been curious about buying one sometime and found this forum a couple months ago. Good luck with the rest of your project!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk