News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 05:34:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Philotomy's Vermonster  (Read 24242 times)

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
Philotomy's Vermonster
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:23:50 AM »
 Yes i have decided to put my rants,ponderings and laments into a new thread.I couldn't see posting about her in the old thread because she is now in fact a project,one which i'm looking forward to.
Went through some job changes and with the uneasy finacial state,didnt have the time or funds to pursue fixing her     
   The trans is shot-dont know how bad yet-due to big tires with stock gears but the tailshaft still spins which is a good sign.Repaired the fuel line a few days ago and have recently started with the cooling system,speaking of that,gotta go get out there and get a bit done before the rain (and work) comes...
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: Philotomy's Vermonster
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:35:03 AM »
Got the fan shroud undone,put it onto the fan,upper hose came off fine;lower one is still attached at the block but undone at the rad.soaked the trans cooling lines but no go,at least not then I may just cut em off and redo em when I get the rad out,i think its fixable though, only one hole near the top. took out the waher res and the overflow tank (that had 3" of crap stuck to the bottom)all cleaned out with a liberal dousing of degreaser then heavy dilution of simple green,cleaned up the fender wall.no to go try those lines before work and if not then i'm hacking them,toss them later.I'm sure they are filled with gunked up fluid anyways.Figured I'd deal with those first before I loosened the rad and ended up with no leverage with moving parts.
 Methinks i'll go with a manual trans radiator and hook up the trans lines to a new separate cooler mounted to the grill supports, any thoughts? the condenser for the non working ac seems to be a separate part we'll see I guess.
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 11:57:08 AM »
A manual radiator still has your hookups. Anyway I would run your radiator for trans cooling even with an auxillary cooler. First through rad than auxillary.

Manitowoc WI

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:00:17 PM »
good idea,I had read that recently on one of the cooling systems threads,probably won't have much of a choice anyways  once I have the cash .

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »
Wow! I just breezed thru the download section....I don't think I'll be able to do the transmission myself too many little bits; but wow nice work with the download page 8).

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »

Well got the radiator out and the shroud and fan, degreased the fan and shroud,the rad. looks like its got a decent size hole near the top where the upper hose goes in,Think I 'll talk to mechanic on wed when the Monte goes in for work,see if knows anybody that can repair it if possible and flush/pressure test it.other than that I have removed the battery for now and will be looking for replacement hoses and clamps just to be safe.
  Gonna run to the store today then come back and remover the starter and some other stuff hopfully in preparation of the trans removal. btw my ac condensor was a separate part,thankfully. :)

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:48:30 AM »
Well ended up mowing the lawn and dealing with our new horse(mare) so I didn't get too much done on her yesterday.Got 1 bolt from the bottom of the starter off and the bracket bolt on the bell housing.other than that I dug out my dads ol pressure washer and it actually worked,hit the engine with it and it seemed to clean it up a tad.I'll really have to spray something stronger( I used pine sol) on there and YES a strong can of degreaser does indeed remove paint.sunburned I decided to call it a day,hurt to lay on that shoulder in the dirt.Hopefully I'll feel more inclined to work on it tonight after work.

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 08:42:52 PM »
Got home and pulled the starter out,it was in real good shape cept for the battery connection and cleaned up real nice(I repainted it gloss black and some bright silver),the bolt snapped in the hole/tab so I'm gonna have to figure out how to extract it ,got a drill and a dremel,should be able to figure something out.
 I talked to my mechanic today and he suggested keeping everything in the car,so whoever gets the job of rebuilding the trans,can make any shift linkage adjustments while they have it...so I suppose I can concentrate on the cooling system and a few other issues

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 08:17:02 PM »
tooka couple pix,radiator will have to be tested /flushed etc,the flexplate and starter look great( I cleaned up the starter and repainted it

Oh yeah the fan is now sporting a new flat black primer job after the coolant and degreaser stripped the paint off most of it
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:23:39 PM by philotomy »

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 10:08:21 AM »
Well I managed to pull out the speedo cable with no effort (after reading through a recent thread) removing the clamp and bolt(1/2 inch wrench),the BRT was still in the case and there was no fluid pouring out ,maybe once/if the big red thing comes out I'll see more.I hope the speedo gear didn't drop inside the case.
 My nuetral safety switch had a broken wire when it was unplugged(how easy is it to find a new connector) ,can't remember which one and I'm temporarily stymied at how the shifter rod unhooks from the gear selector on the trans ,looked around on the transmission threads  and in some recent posts but can't find that helpful hint.I'm not sure if Its an easy to find replacement part or if I'm screwed if i damage it(that little grommet/bushing between the two metal arms),I'll post some more pix soon of my adventures under the Eagle.

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 11:33:22 AM »
As you said somewhere. Where is the gear? Should of pulled the red plug out. Also note clock position on the red thing

Manitowoc WI

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 03:22:34 PM »
Yeah, I marked the red thing with a red pastel and onto the case, shown in pic. I'm hoping to get that out when I get home tonight,been reading thru Alcology's thread and seems like it might be easier now.still pondering the shift linkage question (drop trans a bit then gain access to linkage). I did get to remove the busted starter bolt on the electrical connection,used vise grips from the backside and it worked its way right out,now for a new bolt...

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »
I found its easier to leave the rod attached to the tyranny lever and than remove both levers

Manitowoc WI

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 03:40:21 PM »
That actually does sound easier,now to just undo it in a manner that wont break anything.thanks again mudkicker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk