News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:09:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear Hatch Slipping  (Read 673 times)

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Rear Hatch Slipping
« on: May 05, 2023, 03:26:49 PM »
Back in 2021 I removed the rear hatch to repair some of the defroster elements and took the chance to adjust the alignment as well. You could see the fasteners that hold the hatch to the hinges that had slipped a quarter of an inch and the door was now slightly hanging past the back of the car.
Well it's slipped back down again to the point the latch no longer aligns but what do I do? The bolts thread into the hinges but I don't want to risk breaking the castings or pulling the threads out by just tightening it harder. How do I keep the door tightly secured to the hinges?

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
Re: Rear Hatch Slipping
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 05:05:38 PM »
My first thought would be to run a tap in it. Clean up the threads and install a heli coil. Might need to drill it out to run the same size bolt. I know Granger caries them.
Someone else might have a better idea plus a idea for reinforcement of the weak metal that was used.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 07:24:57 PM »
The root issue is the rubber gaskets under the hinges shrink with age (get thinner), so they don't stay put.   I had that same issue, as do most Eagles nowadays with old gaskets.  I had some NOS gaskets I put on my waggie and cured my issue.   Fat chance of finding any of those any more. 

A friend of mine took some 1/16" thin neoprene gasket material and cut some to match his originals, and glued them to the bottom of his dry original gaskets to "thicken" them a bit, and reinstalled.  So far, so good; hatch stays in place.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 06:19:29 PM »
I have had the same problem with mine as well and it's gotten to the point where my right side hinge is about ready to snap on both halves of the hinge. I did find that AMClives.com has new gaskets available for like 20 some dollars for a complete set but I cannot find anyone that has new hinges available as of yet.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 10:20:03 PM »
From the pics, those replacement gaskets don't seem to have the raised lip around the edges.   Also don't see a rear wiper motor wire channel in one of the lower pieces (if your car has that option).  I'm really curious if they are the same density and thickness of rubber as the originals; but I'm too cheap to buy a set to check!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7