News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:53:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need Measurement from Serp Belt Car  (Read 1757 times)

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Need Measurement from Serp Belt Car
« on: September 11, 2020, 07:25:58 PM »
Hi All:

My waggie has a serp belt banshee squeal from a belt alignment issue.  Problem is an aftermarket idler pulley (the one up high on the left side of the engine) that a PO put on the car that is too close to the engine.  Now that Crown is once again offering a correct pulley, I'd like to get one on the car.  However, the original spacer is also gone.  I can of course make a spacer; but I don't know how long it should be (the AMC Standard Parts Catalog doesn't list the particulars of that spacer).

So, can any of you folks with a serp belt car measure the length of your pulley spacer??  It should be out in the open for an easy measurement.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: Need Measurement from Serp Belt Car
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 08:05:48 PM »
Probably easier for someone to know if theirs is a match to yours if they new the year, equipment (photo for confirm?) and standards (49-state, Cal, high-alt, etc.).

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Need Measurement from Serp Belt Car
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 10:08:38 PM »
According to the Eagle parts manual, all the 6-cylinder serp belt cars used the same spacer in that spot.   I know I could just eyeball it and cut a spacer; but I'd like to know if my hack job was correct!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7