News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 27, 2024, 11:44:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone have any hints on how to get the mouse smell out of my heating system?  (Read 12058 times)

Offline CadillakJak

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Just got my SX/4 but every time I blow the heat it smells like Mice horribly. Anyone have any good way of getting rid of that?

Offline dustyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
Not sure where to get it but there is a foam you can inject by drilling a small hole in heater box. It will get rid of most odors
1983 eagle wagon
The eagle has landed!

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
My SX/4 smells the same way!  After driving it for a month and a half now it seems to be getting better though
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Screamin'Eagle

• Soon to be with 401 :)
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 43
BG Frigi-Fresh will do the trick.  You can do a search on Google for it and some of the procedures for using it.

The Best way is to crack open the heater box to really get in there and hose her down.

Offline CadillakJak

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Sweet, just bought some. When it gets here I will try and figure out how and where to best get it in the heater box. You guys are great, thanks!

eaglesx4

GM dealers also have a very good foam, spray at the intake of the system and let it blow through.  They also have the stuff where you drill a small hole in the heater to inject it directly inside the heater.  I worked at Chrysler dealers but would use this stuff for ac and heater cores to remove odors from cars/truks.

Offline Screamin'Eagle

• Soon to be with 401 :)
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 43
That's the same thing.  Gm dealers sell it at a markup.

68AMXGOPAC

Yes, I used some, I got at either Lowes or Home depot , it's just a refrigerant coil cleaner , wxcept I had to remove the fan and most of the heater box, as said mouse got distributed through the box and up against the coil via trying to out run the fan like and exersize wheel. It worked great , but I also had to snorkel vaccumm out some "parts" . Not a fun thing after a few nice hot summer days.

Offline iAMCheap

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 13
  • A birdsong shatters the still
That's not mice, that's "New Car Smell"
The blizzard goes on but still they must fly.
No one should go Where EAGLES Dare!
       TONY
 Glen Rock, PA

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
A clothes peg is pretty effective.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline CadillakJak

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
I have some of the frigi-freeze stuff coming but I am going to try something else someone in the know offered up. They had a similar issue come up and they poured 2 5 gallon bucket fulls of a blend of Lysol hot water and soap? I think down the vents in front of the windshield. Wish me luck!

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
You're talking about pouring 10 gallons of liquid down the defroster vents, right?
I've had a heater core out, but I don't know enough about the ducts to know where that liquid will go or how it will
get back out.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline CadillakJak

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
No, not the heater vents on the dash. The valance in front of the windshield. Between it and the hood.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
That's a relief.  Sorry for my confusion. 
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline CadillakJak

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
No sweat, a good friend who owns a shop locally said he has done that in the past and it drastically deminishes the overall stench. That and the frigi-freeze should hopefully do the trick...

Offline CadillakJak

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Am tempted to drill a hole now that I have the frigi-freeze but wonder if it would be better to take the fan off the firewall and spray in there. Don't really know where else to spray, any other intake areas?

Offline dustyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
Well if you do take the fan out if you havent already, you may find a source to the smell and it would be an injection point. Also drilling the hole is a good idea too that way you can get that stuff on the other have of the heater box easier. In my full time job we do that exact thing we deoderize both halfs of the box. Drilling holes is the easiest way.
1983 eagle wagon
The eagle has landed!

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Kitty Litter?

Actually, acids are pretty good a breaking down the proteins that smell. Vinegar is safe. Vinegar is cheap.

To be effective, you'd have to take it apart and ensure you've removed all left-over mouse parts and any foreign material (grass, leaves, dirt, mud, etc.) that may have absorbed the smell. Then wash down with vinegar. Vinegar is cheap enough you could even soak the heater core and duck work in it.

There are bags of crystals you can buy that will absorb odors (but not remove their source, of course). When saturated, you simply bake the crystals to "recharge" them (heat releases the previously absorbed odor). Do it in the sun, not your indoor oven (unless you want your oven & house smelling like mouse).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 11:09:58 PM by Canoe »

Offline CadillakJak

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Well I took the four screws out that cover the air box under the passenger side dash. Got a decent size bit and drilled just over a pencil end sized hole through the double plated left side when looking in from the seat. Couldn't feel any air when I covered the opening but sprayed some of the FF inside. Think I may see how hard it will be to take that fan out on the firewall side to get a better spray point. No other real inlet area that is not blowing out.

Offline redneckjames

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
take the mouse out... duh hahaha

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
A guy I know used to keep his aftershave in the car and every now and then he'd pour a glug down the defroster vent.

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
     Hi i have taken the box out of many of cars to get rid of the smell .I found that masengail Duse it gets rid all the mouse smells.i useed it to get sunk smell off the dog it workers real good. it works for me        don.   :o  ::)
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

benamcfan

Yes, gm/ motorcraft make good products for odor. Lets take this a little further. Gravity is at play so lets start at the top.Are the vents obstructed if so remove any debris,check for cracking,loose or missaligned fit rodents can fit through the smallest areas. Check the blower motor for proper seal and fit.
Removal of heater core/evaporator, may be necessary, gm and after market types of odor control work well also.Drilling holes to apply these chemicals is often used { i prefer proper disassembly }, so if you drill seal the holes, holes are leaks. If the vehicle has been left out side or stored in an unsealed building, i recommend complete removal of all duct work including any portion of dashboard components. The duct should be cleaned of all rodent/ insect debris and cleaned with a bleach solution or other product. Be careful upon reassembly of the duct work an dash.  Do not forget the directional dash/floor outlets.

Thanks. Benamcfan.
[email protected]

Offline MontanaEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
I traveled with a kitten in my honda once.  At some point it decided to pee on the dashboard and it leaked down into the vents.  It smelled like cat pee for about 6 months, I just blasted the AC or Heat whenever I was in there, as soon as the pee dried, the smell went away.  Not the best method, but it worked.
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon (Soon to be for mountain fun times)
1997 Honda Civic (Daily driver in the winter)
2009 JM Star Scooter (Daily driver in the summer)
2010 Schwinn Hybrid Bike (Daily driver in Spring and Fall)

"It may be too early to drink scotch, but it's never too early to think about scotch"

Offline eagletuner

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
shove an air freshner in teh vents  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk