News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:47:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: theft deterant  (Read 3950 times)

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
theft deterant
« on: May 05, 2011, 07:08:57 PM »
looking for some ideas on a theft deterant, to keep people from trying to take my eagle.  with or without spending money

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: theft deterant
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 07:37:41 PM »
So let gme get this right. I should tell my secret over a forum to tell everyone else. btw can't steel mine

Manitowoc WI

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:44:46 PM »
I just use The Club.  Simple and effective, and most importantly, visible.

You could have some sort of hidden kill switch or something, but it's still a pain in the posterior if a would-be thief smashes a window or destroys a door lock, then realizes he can't steal the car.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
I pull my driveshaft out and stick it in the driver seat   :rotfl:
Best(and cheapest) theft deterrent yet.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline ericarmstrong

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 52
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 08:37:09 PM »
If your going to run a kill switch split the wire on the bottom of the starter solenoid (park/neutral safety ground signal) and run it to a hidden switch in the car. Shouldn't cost more than 10 bucks.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:47:34 PM »
plant some explosives under the driver's seat, and if the hidden switch isn't...  Ahhh, nevermind...  I think Ericarmstrong's idea is much better.

my car is really hard to start, so I don't think they will bother after they kill the battery...

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 09:40:31 PM »
I've got a few tricks on my car.
Nothing I'm going to admit here though.
Kill switch is generally the norm around here though.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:05:22 PM »
Things like the club, and getting a blinking LED at Radio Shack and installing in your dash are a good start. The first step is making a would-be thief look at your car and decide that it's too much work for too little gain so that he'll move on to an easier target.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 11:57:26 PM »
If I have to leave my Eagle in a place where theft may occur, I just pull the coil wire off and put it in my pocket.
Can't run without that, and chances are a thief won't have a coil wire if they even take the time to notice it's missing.
Still have to worry about valuables inside the car though.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 02:12:50 AM »
put a snake in the drivers seat that'll keep them away.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »
Soccer mom bumper sticker???
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 03:36:41 PM »
I pull the coil wire myself when leaving vehicles unattended for periods of time.  I have them labled as to which vehicle they go in so i grab the right one at the house.

For stereo theft (this one works great) I have used a 2 part epoxy and added flat razor blades to the back of my aftermarket stereo.  I don't wanna be the one who reaches back and tries o pry out the CD player.

A simple batt disconnect switch works great too.  But it works both ways if you forget the key to it when you want to fire up your Commando at the cabin (happened to me last week)

If you have swapped to an electric fuel pump you can run the toggle to the + line there.  Car will start and drive a very short distance.

I have a buddy that has a stick shifter that inscrews.  He takes it w/ him when he leaves his Jeep.  It unscrews under the boot.

Story:  I own a K-5 w/ 36"X15 tires.  $3200 matched set of 5.  Left my ride overnight behind a business I was working with.  Went to pick it up the next day and all 5 wheels and tires were gome.  It was sitting on the drums in the parking lot.  Had 2 sets of wheel locks on each wheel too.  The kicker, the inconsiderate persons broke my windows out to find the keys for the wheel locks, used my own jack and lug wrench to steak them.  Lesson learned:  don't leave the key lock for your wheels in your car.  Drill a small hole in it and use it as a key chain.  You will still get broken windows, but you will keep your wheels.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
Wheel locks are useless.
I can get them off in a matter of a few seconds.
They generally just end up being an inconvenience.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk