News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 02:28:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: i some times have to prime the carb with gas to start it  (Read 4291 times)

Offline pigonawing

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
i some times have to prime the carb with gas to start it
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:58:43 PM »
i have a 1982 eagle i some times have to prime the carb with gas to start it. could i have a bad fuel pump or is it a carb issue it has the original head ache carb on it.

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: i some times have to prime the carb with gas to start it
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:00:50 PM »
try running some carb cleaner or fuel additive through it (i like sea foam myself) i would run it through a few times and if it persists then i would look further into the carb before the fuel pump
mixed martial artist are like pit bulls. were highly trained and bred to protect our family, our property, and ourselves. But when someone rattles the cage and gets bit they aim to put us down like their stupidity is our fault. I am a cage fighter, does that mean i want to hurt you outside the cage? No. will i stand there and let you beat me because im trained to fight inside the cage? No. If you pick a fight i will defend my self, regardless of my training or your lack of. if you get hurt i may feel bad but in the end the fault is yours. If your to stupid not to start something you cant finish the i suggest you stay on the porch.

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 05:07:17 PM »
Seafoam is great. Just don't use it if you have neighbours  ;D

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »
Have you installed a check valve in the fuel return line?
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=36284.0
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:00:35 PM »
The smell, I bet.

The smoke  ;D

It smokes like CRAZY, and it goes EVERYWHERE.

It's the same thing as using ATF fluid as an injector/carb cleaner in the gas tank, or mix a bit in with oil, then do an oil change right after. My grandfather was a transmission mechanic and showed it as a trick years and years ago. Smoked like crazy, but it apparently softened the seals a bit, and ATF fluid had amazing detergent properties.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 08:13:37 PM »
Is your choke working properly?  Any open vacuum ports on intake?
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
    • American Motors Club of Alberta
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 06:42:49 PM »
I had a couple of 78s that would seem to drain the carb overnight. I disconnected the the lines that run to the charcoal canister from the top of the carb and they worked much better - seems the canister was sucking up all the gas/fumes leaving the carb dry. Perhaps the little valves inside the carb that are supposed to shut off the fumes when the car is not running were mis-adjusted.
39Master85w.partscar,67Marlin343,68AMX343,70Machine,73Matador2drht401,
73-74-75-76GremlinXs,75PacerX,76Hornet2dsd,76-77Matadorcpes,
2-77AMXs304,78AMX304,78GremlinGT,78Concordsw,79Concordhb,79PacerDL304,
2-79AMXs304/401,2-80AMXs258/401,80SpiritDL304, 80Eagle4dsdn,3-81SX4s,
81SpiritGT,2-81Concord4dsd,82Eaglesw,2-85Eaglesw,2-80J20/360,85J10/258,2-88Eaglesw,
94Sentra2dsd   (42)

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 12:38:32 PM »
Even just a little bit of a pinhole in the fuel system is going to let the whole thing drain down the return overnight. Make sure that the return line rubber hoses are new, fuel grade, and have good clamps on them, they have almost no pressure and are often ignored because they never leak.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »
I replaced all my gas lines and then The same thing happend to me. Above the left rear wheel well  there is an Assembly that looks like a roll over valve but much bigger. The roll over valve is actually on the right side. Anyway it has a short hose that has a larger diameter on one side than the other. Well considering that it is made of unobtainium I chose a size in between the two. Well it was a little to big for the smaller side so it allowed all the gas to roll back to the tank. I gave the clamp a few extra turns and that fixed it. Any dry rotted line would do the same thing. You are losing vacuum somewhere in the fuel line.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk