The Shop > Project Cars

1981 amc eagle rear axle parts hard to find help please

(1/4) > >>

1981amcwagonAWD:
I have a 1981 amc eagle wagon AWD that needs a right rear axle I'm not to sure how or where to find one I've had the eagle for 11 years and I have never been able to drive it I got it when I was 17 I'm asli courious if a axle in a pacer or a gremlin would fit my 1981 amc eagle I'm also not to sure how to Identify my rear end model but it has 10 bolt pattern cover

MIPS:
"right rear" as in the rear passenger side wheel?

vangremlin:
You might check on car-part.com. I believe all the Eagles had the same axle shafts and they interchange right and left. Good luck!

1981amcwagonAWD:
Mips Yes it is the right rear I'm having trouble finding it

MIPS:
Let me guess, the shaft broke at the wheel hub?
AMC 35 axles are symmetrical, so both sides are interchangeable. The problem is that the AMC 35 was replaced decades ago with the massively more popular Dana 35 which to this day you can still find axle shafts for but are incompatible with the older design. Adding to that as a few of us have rudely found out it seems Eagles have a very very bad reputation for the rear passenger hub snapping off, even if you do not off-road the vehicle. There are many unconfirmed rumors as to why this happens.
Your options are either convert the Eagle to the Dana 35 or you have to find another axle. Car-part.com lists two 1983 axle shafts as available from salvage yards. If my 1982 axle took a shaft from a 1987 I don't see why a 1983 won't fit in a 1981.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version