News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:58:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: One speed wipers issue  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
One speed wipers issue
« on: April 10, 2011, 01:30:32 AM »
Mine is the intermitted switch (it goes left) but it only works on one speed.  I took out the harness between the switch and the other similar connector (with that black box), and it's still one speed. In other words, I removed the black box 

It was grounded (at least I thought it was) but as I removed the switch to try another switch, I broke off the ground.  it still works the same way.

btw, there's a little tab in the middle of the switch - in back where it plugs in, and it's in the shape of a triangle.  I had to snap that off, to get the plug to fit in.

Now, I just tried to ground the outer casing, and nothing works, but as soon as I un-ground it, it works one speed.

Here I was gonna replace the motor (again) but what am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:50:46 AM by Whuntmore »

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
Re: One speed wipers issue
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:54:08 AM »
i have a '77 ford f250 that has the EXACT same wiper sysetem as my 2 eagles. (82 sx4 and 83 sx4) i had what i understand, the same issue. wipers will only work when turned to high. and when left on high, will quit after a little while?? its the little black box.

That's exactly my problems, but I Unplugged the black box.  I took it right out, and then plugged the harness into the switch.  I still only get one speed.

with the black box out... do I need a different switch.  (PS, I don't care if I have intermitted wipers, I just want wipers to work)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:32:36 PM »
crap... I was hoping that I could just pull out the little box, and that would do it...

Ok, so what if I get a non-intermitted switch?  Just a normal switch that doesn't have that intermitted thing in it, and then remove the black box... would that work?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 02:20:53 PM »
The motor wiring harness will plug into the switch wiring harness of a standard switch and then it should work like a stock unit.  Off, low and high. 
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »
Right.  The intermittent control box goes between the intermittent wiper switch and the the motor wiring harness.  With the non-intermittent (stock) switch the motor wiring harness plugs directly into it.  You need the correct switch to provide whichever mode you want as an end result.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 03:53:31 PM »
thanks for the info.   I was worried that was the issue.

I found another switch, and I had gotten another black box (after your posts, I went looking thru all my spare parts) that I had stripped off the 84 donor wagon.  with a ground, everything works!

So all I have to do is find a good spot to secure the ground wire to, and then I can FINALLY put the dash and the trim all together.

I've asked Dean to keep an eye out for a non-intermitted switch, then the next time the black box dies, I'll just remove it, and put in a normal switch.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 04:06:11 PM »
I attached my ground wire to the upper part of the parking brake assembly.  So far so good.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 11:28:34 PM »
It's fixed, and it works like it should.  Thx for the help.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 02:00:45 AM »
what did it take to fix it? just a ground issue? find another box to replace? switch? what? please do tell. i delt with this on my '77 ford f250, (very few of those with the intermittent wipers) and now my 82 sx4 i had to fix the ground on it and it works (sometimes) have to whack the dash when they quit. LOL. i went thru all the wiring diagrams with my 77 ford. they are totally different between intermittent and 2 speed wipers.

I was very lucky.  

I had a donor car with the same black box, and the same switch.  I also took the motor out and swapped it.

So really all I did was swap everything.

My switch didn't have a ground mounted to it, so I drilled a small hole, put in a small taping screw (I had them from small equipment like cameras) and then I soldered a wire to it.

Here's where I drilled the hole.  It doesn't interfere with anything

Then I just twisted a wire around it, and soldered it.  worked great.  I used a lug end, and then I just found a small screw attached to ground (it was actually holding another ground) and then I just slipped it in with that one. 

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:02:25 AM by Whuntmore »

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 05:57:03 PM »
glad you got it fixed. i found a spare box at the pick n pull (closest one with an eagle is 90 miles away) and robbed it. i need to put in the bumble bee (82 sx4) see if that fixes my "stops, smack the dash it works again" issue. LOL

is everything intermitted?  did you check that famous spot on the firewall?  Did you run a new ground from the battery to the firewall?  That fixed my issues.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk