News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Found a solution for my front license plate (Update 1-15-11).  (Read 21187 times)

Offline 83Eagle!

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 179
Re: Need a solution for my front license plate.
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 11:54:28 PM »
Yeah I got it fixed.  I actually posted it in my "Progress is being made" under Your Eagles and not here.  Oops.

When I got home with Morgan from preschool she helped me fix the front licese plate bracket. I had picked up a self tapping screw kit from O'Reilly's right before going to Ron's Automotive.  My Eagle got a lot fo attention at O'Reilly's.  It was all good attention too.  :)

I drilled two new holes for the top of the plate.  Then, I had added a spacer to the bottom of the license plate made out of a heavy duty plastic hanger I round in the basement.  Then I attached the top with self tapping screws to the bumper via the holes I drilled. 

I used the pot metal license plate holder that the camper had for this project.  It was more sturdy than the cheapo plastic ones.  It is still at a slight angle, but not nearly as bad by far. 

The Eagle with my helper Morgan

Here's the new plate holder.

Check out the swiss cheese exhaust system I have on my Eagle in that thread too.  Got my mirror fixed too by a guy who used to race a Rambler American 290.
 http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=6888.0
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2010, 11:59:34 PM »
nice exhaust lol

as for the plate holder... looks very similar to the idea I had. Good job man!
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 12:04:18 AM »
nice exhaust lol

as for the plate holder... looks very similar to the idea I had. Good job man!

Yeah I will get to the exhaust probably as soon as I sell the Elantra.  Did you see the undercarriage shot?

Thanks for the kudos on the plate.  I like having my Eagle back.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline leftover

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 23
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 02:29:19 AM »
I know a little late here, but, I found this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?itemIdentifier=761575_0_0_&skuDescription=Bell+/+Adjustablelicenseplatemountingbracket&brandName=Bell&displayName=Adjustablelicenseplatemountingbracket&skuDisplayName=Bell&categoryNValue=10099999&navValue=100729&categoryDisplayName=Adjustablelicenseplatemountingbracket&parentId=00-10&itemId=729-0&productId=761575

It is from Autozone's site but I am sure other stores have this or similar.  It would hold the base away enough to line up vertical where the top would hit the bumper/moulding.

Just a thought that might help someone.  It is similar to Mav's flat stock idea.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 07:31:12 AM »

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?itemIdentifier=761575_0_0_&skuDescription=Bell+/+Adjustablelicenseplatemountingbracket&brandName=Bell&displayName=Adjustablelicenseplatemountingbracket&skuDisplayName=Bell&categoryNValue=10099999&navValue=100729&categoryDisplayName=Adjustablelicenseplatemountingbracket&parentId=00-10&itemId=729-0&productId=761575

It is from Autozone's site but I am sure other stores have this or similar.  It would hold the base away enough to line up vertical where the top would hit the bumper/moulding.

Just a thought that might help someone.  It is similar to Mav's flat stock idea.

I didn't think to look on Autozone's website.  Their store in my neighborhood had nothing like that.  I looked into a bracket at O'Reilly's but it was a piece of crap.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline leftover

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 23
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »
They can order that part in for you or you can order from their online site.

Although if you take a look at it you can probably figure out how to do what it was Mav was suggesting.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 11:51:08 PM »

Thank you Leftover.  I got that bracket from Autozone today and it worked perfectly.

Pictures to follow.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
Re: Found a solution for my front license plate (Update 1-15-11).
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 12:07:15 AM »
I had to reopen the investigation into this issue because I got new plates and I could not mount the front one with the holes I drilled previously.  Plus, for some odd reason the licesne plate cover won't fit the new plate.  The holes line up on the car and the plate and on the cover and the car, but not when I have all three together. 

Here's the bracket I bought at Autozone following leftover's suggestion. 

It cost $8.99 + tax

Installation was pretty Easy. 
Mount the bracket into the existing bottom holes for the plate (at least my Eagle had them).  Use the piece of the bracket that is more flat than the other.  The other side has built in screws for the plate that look nice. 

Then using an Alan wrench adjust the bracket to how you see it fitting best.  Both the mounting plate for the plate and mounting plate for the bracket swivel on both ends with set screws to achieve the desired angle. 

I chose to take mine up from the original bottom mounting holes for 2 reasons.  1. Then it doesn't hang below the bumper (not sure I like that look).  2.  It covers up the top holes I drilled previously. 

Here's the finished product.  I still feel it needs a license plate frame of some sort, but at least people will be able to read it.  If they have a problem with the push bar blocking the view from one angle or another tough.  The Push bar stays.

sorry for the crappy shot.  I couldn't get too far in front of the Eagle because my recliner is in the way.  Had it stored down there because of the tree being up.  I need it back in the living room; just have not had time to do it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:10:00 AM by 83Eagle! »

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 07:39:02 PM »
Here's a better shot of the plate.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:15:51 PM by 83Eagle! »

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 10:51:14 PM »
Interesting... not a bad thought.

I have a hard time focusing on the plate though... can't get my eyes off of the grill guard. I'm so dang jealous of it, lol!
The AMC Eagle

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 11:14:50 PM »
Interesting... not a bad thought.

I have a hard time focusing on the plate though... can't get my eyes off of the grill guard. I'm so dang jealous of it, lol!

Thanks.  I like it.  Now if I can juet get the HEI upgrade finished I should be all set.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2011, 01:33:22 AM »
I did mine and didn't really notice much of a change tbh. Of course, I still need to replace the coil wire with a thicker gauge - but the rest is done.
The AMC Eagle

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2011, 05:51:07 PM »
I did mine and didn't really notice much of a change tbh. Of course, I still need to replace the coil wire with a thicker gauge - but the rest is done.

I thought you did an MUI upgrade.  Or did you do HEI?

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk