News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 08:20:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dipstick tube  (Read 2639 times)

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
dipstick tube
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:42:30 PM »
Need to know if the dipstick tube can be removed without dropping the pan? If so how much fluid will I loose? Oh yes, 86 auto 998.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
Re: dipstick tube
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 02:17:56 AM »
i was able to pull the dipstick tube on my 83 with out pulling the pan. as for the amount of fluid i would put a nice sized pan under the dipstick tube as it will lose a good amount of fluid.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 07:53:32 AM »
It's a pain , I put mine back in with the pan on and tranny in, supposeing you can pull it out, along the lines of supposeing it is loose enough and leaking is why you are pulling it out.
And yeah , a big pan !!

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »
I use a cheap hand pump with a tube that goes down the dipstick tube to suck the oil out.  i believe its just the one bracket bolt to remove and the bottom just has an O-ring.

Offline GAEAGLE

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 06:53:58 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm pulling the tube out because when I removed the pan for filter replacement it had been put on with some kind of super glue. I used a wedge to break it loose. I think I bent the end of the tube,because the dipstick has to be played with to go all the way down,and I don't want to break it. Also had a time getting the pan not to leak,so not wanting to pull it. Again, thanks for the help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk