News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 11:55:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Full frame and straight axle  (Read 56831 times)

Offline Animal

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: Full frame and straight axle
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2010, 09:26:16 PM »
  I forget, what engine did you put in?
[/quote]

I put a new Chevy 4.3L V6 in it. However, now with all the extra weight, I am going to put a mild 350 V8 in. I made the frame to fit the V8 and put in a four core radiator with doul 16" electric fans.

Offline Animal

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 09:45:20 PM »
It's an understatement to say "well done." It's awesome!

I'm curious...did you use a jig to hold the frame rails straight while you welded it up?  Are there any cross members other than those for suspension links and the transmission rear mount? And finally, are the sheet metal inner fenders also intended to strengthen/stiffen the front structure?

Good questions.

I did make some jigs to weld the frame rails. I also took extra time to make sure my welds did not pull the angles out of alignment.

I did not put the sheet metal in to add stiffness, just keep the rocks, mud, sticks and...? out of my radiator and engine. The 1 1/2" by .188 wall tubing makes it plenty strong. I did use 16awg sheet metal and fully welded it to the tubing.

I do have one cross member between the engine and radiator. I used a section of 3" channel iron. other than that, I used 3"X2" 1/4" wall tubing for the frame. I also used 1/2" plate to fabricate the steering box mount.

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 10:23:05 PM »
NICE!
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2010, 01:23:49 AM »
Wow how did I miss the latest update.  Very nice work.  I also didn't realize how much modification you did to the fron clip and I love the way you modified the fenders and wheel wells.  Looks very clean.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Animal

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2010, 08:56:55 PM »
Giving an update on my project. I just scored a Chevy small block V8 and am going to put it in this week. I know that it would be better with an AMC V8, but I could not pass on the price.

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2010, 09:11:50 PM »
Very nice. 350? 327? 305? or is that a 383 stroker??

Once this enigne is in, is she all done?? or do you still have some stuff left to do??
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline Animal

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2010, 09:56:54 PM »
Very nice. 350? 327? 305? or is that a 383 stroker??

Once this enigne is in, is she all done?? or do you still have some stuff left to do??

It is a 305. Nothing wrong with the old 5.0L V8. It is just a complete stock rebuild and not a performance package. I wanted a good reliable engine that would give me a little more power over the stock 6 cylinder now that I am running 33" tires. I also installed a two speed transfer case so that I can have low range.

Once the engine is in, I will have to fabricate wheel wells for the rear, run the brake lines and fuel line, and install the seats. I will also have to have a dive line custom made. Then, I will run the exhaust and it will be all done.   

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2010, 04:01:30 AM »
 :o
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
  • Quicksand!, What quicksand?
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2010, 04:43:03 PM »
Totally sweet, Im trying to figure out if I can install the solid axles without going to extremes,  right now mine sits right about where most cherokee's do, so I think its possible to do without the radical lift.

although, I would do it in a heartbeat if not for the fact its my Daily Driver, and the Munchkins are already having trouble climbing in and out.  ::)

Taint nothing wrong with the Ole 305. had one in the 79 Camaro we once had, while I admit it wasn't worth bragging about, it did have ENOUGH power to lug that heavy beast around even at highway speeds, and was about as maintenance free as they come, we drove that thing at least 100K, and all I ever did was change the oil, put a set of belts on it, and rebuilt the carb. the turbo350 tranny was a whole other story, but the engine ran and ran and ran till it finally burned sooo much oil, it looked like something out of a James Bond movie when pulling hills. but it still ran  ;D
2001 Subaru Outback (the official car of Co.)
1979 Bronco, hauler/crawler, (Monster)
2014 Invacare T7A, (my new legs/wheels)

possible future rig......
imagine an AMX  on a FSJ frame.....

There is nothing wrong with my legs, they just wont do a :censored: thing I tell them!

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2011, 11:00:55 PM »

HI this is what I have ben looking for ...For all the cars with rusted out frames so its coming back out
                   front ..so I don't have to look for it all the time ....There is so much information this thread.I wish that
                   Animal was still around to answer some questions we would have. So here it is..................Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2011, 12:09:37 AM »
That thing looks wicked.
Nice job ;D

If I ever get an eagle, it's probably going to have a SBC in it, even if it's against the grain :P

Offline Animal

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2011, 10:54:45 PM »

HI this is what I have ben looking for ...For all the cars with rusted out frames so its coming back out
                   front ..so I don't have to look for it all the time ....There is so much information this thread.I wish that
                   Animal was still around to answer some questions we would have. So here it is..................Don

I still around. I check in from time to time to see what people are up to. I also have been making progress on my project. I would probably been done by now but I moved again. This time I moved from Texas to Tulsa Oklahoma.

My Eagle is very close to being road worthy. I overworked my little welder and purchased a brand new Hobart Ironman 230 wire feed welder this weekend. It should make quick work of the little bit of fabricating that is left. The V8 is in place now and I will post current pictures soon.

Thanks for looking,
Brandon

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 07:52:13 AM »

HI           I'm  glad  to hear you are still around there are some pepole that have things they want to know
                        like who made the frame rails and outhers.......Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2012, 08:08:19 PM »
wow so so nice! the pic of your old setup looks like it was pretty big. what was your old setup?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »
Unfortunately, it looks like the last time he was on here was 10 months ago.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk