News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:40:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sorry, I meant NP129 "False Neutral" Issue  (Read 3379 times)

Offline eagle1phanatic

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Sorry, I meant NP129 "False Neutral" Issue
« on: November 16, 2017, 11:54:44 AM »
Greetings Eagle Lovers. I've seen posts in this forum regarding the "false neutral" that can sometimes happen with the NP129 cases. I am familiar with that issue. But currently, I have a somewhat new problem. When I switch from 2WD to 4WD, the front drive does indeed engage, but the rear drive remains in the "neutral" position, permanently, while in 4WD. My car basically becomes a Front Wheel Drive Eagle. I've worked the shift mechanism manually to make sure it is moving the full stroke/distance needed to complete the shift into 4WD, but the rear drive remains neutral. Did something on the shift linkage inside the case slip?? Or something else preventing the rear drive from re-engaging when in 4WD?? If I need to drop this case and take it apart just because of a loose component on the shift linkage internally, that would be really frustrating. Any knowledgeable advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!  Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:38:51 AM by eagle1phanatic »

Offline eagle1phanatic

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: NP119 "False Neutral" Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »
Has anyone ever taken an NP129 apart??  Has anyone ever seen the shift linkage inside??  I would like to know what it looks like, and what could possibly have slipped, or is otherwise malfunctioning.  Or maybe it isn't the shift linkage at all???  I've done a couple swaps, but never actually taken one apart.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:08:07 PM by eagle1phanatic »

Offline eagle1phanatic

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: NP129 "False Neutral" Issue
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »
OOPS!!  SORRY!!  I meant NP129!!  DARN!!  SCHOZZBOTT!!

Offline eagle1phanatic

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Re: Sorry, I meant NP129 "False Neutral" Issue
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 11:40:11 AM »
 :-X

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 05:42:27 PM »
The EPedia has a parts exploded view of the trans cases . Are you sure your not in front wheel drive all the time even when it's in 2 wheel ?
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline eagle1phanatic

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 11:06:22 PM »
Thanks very much for the info mo.eagles.  Yes, I am absolutely certain that the front drive is engaging and disengaging as it should.  I've scrutinized this case in every way possible without doing any disassembly.  I've even tried getting the rear drive to engage while the car was moving, VERY SLOWLY, but moving.  No go.  My Eagle is currently either FRONT wheel drive, or, REAR wheel drive, but NEVER 4WD.  Daggon thing!!  By the way, forgot to mention, it's a 1983 SX/4 Sport, 5-speed, 258cid, Select Drive.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:11:35 PM by eagle1phanatic »

Offline eagle1phanatic

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 10:09:20 PM »
So after finding a good quality diagram (exploded view), I have a clearer understanding of how the linkage works internally.  The internal fork is obviously in place, and moving correctly, otherwise it would not successfully engage the Front Drive components as it does.  Now I'm starting to think the case might be gunked up inside, from old dirty oil, preventing a component on the main Rear Drive shaft assembly to move fully into position.  I really can't think of what else it could possibly be.  So gonna try to "flush" the TC out one of these days, then refill it with a very good high-quality lubricant.  If that doesn't fix it, I'm guessing I'll need to drop it at some point, and get inside it.  Hope it doesn't come to that.

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 09:42:21 AM »
refill with ATF, originally they suggested motor oil but a supplement came out changing that to ATF. could be its gunked up with motor oil

Offline eagle1phanatic

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »
Awesome!  Thanks DAVE!  My plan is to use Amsoil ATF.  Can't do much better (if any better) than that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk