News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:58:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finding a good shop that is AMC friendly  (Read 3686 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Finding a good shop that is AMC friendly
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »
Any of you guys have your AMC's worked on by a shop? I like to do all of my own work on Z2 but my job takes me very far from home for extended periods of time so when I'm home I'm not always up for turning wrenches. Over the last few years I've been thru 5 or 6 mechanic shops and it's always the same general thing, they hear "AMC" and forget how to work on cars, they promise it will get done quickly and it ends up sitting FOREVER. Z2 has been at the shop going on 6 weeks now for the exhaust(from manifold to tailpipe), all the parts are in the car, it needs maybe 3 hours of labor at most. Anyone else ever been thru this? Last time it was the valve cover, before that the alignment etc... Each time has been a highly recommended local shop, I just don't get it. This is my primary daily driver, not some long forgotten project :censored: :banghead:

Do we have a list of AMC friendly mechanics? Anybody ever take their Eagle to the (EVIL)Dodge dealer? I just want the car fixed right and in a timely manner if I'm paying somebody to do it.

Sorry for my rant.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:04:24 PM by Zoro »
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Re: Finding a good shop that is AMC friendly
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:53:42 PM »
I'm really lucky, I do a lot of the work myself like you but there are some things I just need help with and I have a local shop that is awesome. They have worked on all my amc's at some point or another and do it right and timely.

they even rebuild carberators!!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Finding a good shop that is AMC friendly
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 10:55:56 PM »
I've never taken any of my AMC's to a dealer, but have used several local mechanics.  It helps if they have an old timer mechanic so they don't spend half the day looking for the OBD2 port to plug into.  I've been pretty happy with the work that I've had done.  I even found an old AMC mechanic but he moved away.

Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk