News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:33:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front and Rear Axel Swap. Lock out fornt axel disconnect?  (Read 3601 times)

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Front and Rear Axel Swap. Lock out fornt axel disconnect?
« on: October 26, 2016, 01:25:14 PM »
Hey there, I have a 85 Sedan with 2.35 gearing. Ive rebuild pretty much everything on the car. See project thread "85 Sedan Fleet model" .   

Ive been wanting different gearing for some time and finally making it happen. There is a guy in Ohio with a yard full of eagle parts. Tomorrow we are meeting half way.

They are 3.31 gearing. Front and rear and I also mentioned I need the bracket that mounts the front diff to the block since I know they made about 3 different sizes.
(if he cant find them Ill have to fab one up, so any info would be rad on that).

Im pretty sure they are from a SX4 from the pictures he sent me. axel disconnect.

Looking for info on how to lock that out and make these work on my 85 sedan w/o the front disconnect?

I know there is info on here for rebuild so ill look that up too but my plan is to completely rebuild these over the winter. New gears, bushings and bearings as well as some stiffening.
Any info on that would be great too.

Thanks!!

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: Front and Rear Axel Swap. Lock out fornt axel disconnect?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:29:16 PM »
Also anyway I can eliminate the lock out box all together with some welding? or swap the housing shaft from my 2.35?  Or not even worth it? Or dont even worry about it?

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 03:35:25 PM »
Info on locking out the front diff can be found here:
http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Front_Axle_Lock

I suppose you could weld it if you didn't want to use a hose clamp.

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 03:39:41 PM »
There it is, Thanks!!   just wondering if that lockout is a weak point and if there were things done to make it stronger.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 08:51:40 PM »
Once locked in it as strong as the axle is.

Manitowoc WI

Offline The Dark Side of Will

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
  • Too much effort into cars that are too cheap

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk