News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cutting lines off of master cylinder?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
Cutting lines off of master cylinder?
« on: July 29, 2018, 07:59:31 PM »
I'm trying to replace my master cylinder, and (at least one) of the lines has an almost perfectly round flare nut, with only a few lines to mark where the last pair of vice-grips grasped it. I might have to cut it off.

I'm thinking if I cut the line flush with the back of the nut, I'll have enough of the line left after the right-angle bend (about an inch) to to put another nut on it and re-flare it.  Has anyone ever done this?  Is this a really, really bad idea, or just an ordinary bad one?

Another weird thing: the rear-brake nut (the rounded one) is 1/2 inch, while the front-brake nut seems to be something between 7/16 and 1/2.  Does anyone remember what size is standard?

Thanks to all,

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Cutting lines off of master cylinder?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 09:14:56 PM »
hey john. Don't cut the line! try this first. Get a VERY small pipe wrench, the smallest I could find is about 6" long, may not be available locally, but they ARE out there. That will FOR SURE get that fitting loose. then, unless the fitting is frozen to the line, you are good to go. Upon reassembly, put some copper anti seize on the line, so it will never seize the fitting. If things are too far gone for this, then you have no choice but to make up a new line, not that big a deal , really.
Yes, one of the fittings is 1/2", the other is 7/16"  . If they are ok, use what is called a "line" wrench, aka, flared end wrech. good luck, gz

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 10:44:23 AM »
As long as you don't see or smell any leaking fluid from the line and keeping the reservoir cap on of course, I wouldn't be afraid to use some heat. Hand held propane or mapp gas. If you haven't used heat before you will be amazed who much easier it makes loosening up fittings.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 04:32:24 PM »
Thanks, that was good advice, gz.

I had tried alternating heat, PB Blaster and vise-grips without any movement.  But I found a 6-inch pipe wrench on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009GF3YS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).  That (with a 2-foot long cheater bar slipped over the end) was sufficient to break it loose.

Ah, the magic of the sloppy old pipe-wrench jaws!  I hope whoever invented that slick mechanism lived well and prospered...

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk