News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:00:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 86 eagle wagon limited drivers pw cable  (Read 5065 times)

Offline eelpout

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 4
86 eagle wagon limited drivers pw cable
« on: May 21, 2011, 09:42:49 PM »
Were do i find a power window cable and housing for the drivers door? they are thicker then a speedo cable. But thats what they look like. Does anybody have anything input for me?
1986 eagle wagon limited
1999 dodge ram 1500
2009 KAW klr 650
1989 lund pro v 1700

Offline eelpout

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: 86 eagle wagon limited drivers pw cable
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:03:49 PM »
Well today i took my power window cable. Used a chop saw  to cut the square ends off. Brazed them to a little larger steel cable. Put it in a bigger tube and slapped it togher. it works for now but a little noisy but it works. Put a new hing on the back hatch. I happend across another set of them so the nexted time i break one i got em on hand. Eagle is soaring once again. :hello2:
1986 eagle wagon limited
1999 dodge ram 1500
2009 KAW klr 650
1989 lund pro v 1700

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:17:41 PM »
I gave you a Good Egg for sharing that fix with us.
Those cables are rare, and it's good when one can be saved.  I had
one that a PO had repaired using clamps to fasten the ends to another cable.
If your door panel is still maybe you could post some pictures.
If you want to find another cable I suggest you post a request in Classifieds.

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?board=15.0
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eelpout

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 06:45:23 PM »
I am really lost when it comes to posting pic. I can not figure
 it out. Thanks for the good eggs. I dont really know what thoses mean tho.
1986 eagle wagon limited
1999 dodge ram 1500
2009 KAW klr 650
1989 lund pro v 1700

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 07:37:46 PM »
Good Eggs are a sign of approval, or a thank you, or whatever.  I'm sure you will get better responses.

Most of us use free Photobucket accounts.
 www.photobucket.com
We recommend clicky pics.  This is a thumbnail picture that enlarges when clicked.
Photobucket has made a change in the way you copy the code.
Here is the way it looks to me:
For a single clicky pic, hover over the picture.  This will open a drop down menu.  Click on the fourth window, img.
It will then say "copied".
Go to the thread where you want to put the picture and paste it in.
For multiple clicky pics, hover over the pictures and click on the small box at the bottom of the picture.
Scroll down and click on "Choose action".  Click "Generate code for selected".
This will open another page.  Click on the third box, "IMG for bulletin boards & forums".  It will say "copied".  Paste it into the thread of your choice. 
In both instances you can select "Preview" to make sure it is what you want before you post it.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

AMC lifer

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:27:01 PM »
 The main cause of failure is that it uses a braided/stranded cable inside a plastic housing. Over time, the metal cable rubs on the plastic where the unit bends.  This causes gumming up & sluggish operation. After this comes complete cable breakage. The cable can be rebuilt fairly easy, provided that it has not too broken. To restore use to a cable, the following can be done.

1. Remove the cable assembly from the motor & regulator.
2. Using a Dremel or other small rotary cutting tool with a cutting wheel, cut the black plastic cable housing at both ends of the cable as they attach to the metal. Be careful not to cut the metal cable inside.
3. Cut lenghtwise down the black plastic housing. Now the housing can be removed from the cable.
4. Clean all of the gunk from the cable, there may already be strands of the cable broken. cut away any really loosely wound strands leaving as much intact as possible.
5. Clean out the cable housing of any loose material leaving a clean interior.
6. slip the housing back over the cable There is tension enough to allow the cable to close back up, but if you wish, you can tape it back with electrical tape the length of the housing.  Leave the ends untaped.
7. reinstall the cable on your prized possession.

The cable will now rotate freely from the housing & the binding does not reoccur.  You could use the cable without the housing, but the cable will be very noisy when being used. The housing adds some stiffness to the cable preventing it from flopping around behind the door panel.

I know that this works as that is what I have in my Eagle. If you are lucky enough to find a new cable, they run upwards of $90.00.

Offline bertosalceda

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 05:29:39 AM »
How to make AMC Eagle power window cables

Eagle power windows cable.... Days ago I posted an information about how to make new cables using an speedometer cable from ATP but now I must ask for regrets, since I got this cable and it is very thin to fit and join the window motor to the window linkage.

SORRY SO MUCH 😔

Hi, about the amc eagle power windows cable, after many time searching for a replacement, I discovered the speedometer "cut to fit" cable from ATP YC101, it has the same squared points in one border, and the other border, you must cut and fit a piece with the squared border.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 03:50:31 PM by bertosalceda »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk