News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 01:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do brake lines for a wagon fit an SX/4?  (Read 921 times)

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • You can do it right, or do it twice.
Do brake lines for a wagon fit an SX/4?
« on: October 17, 2021, 10:33:01 AM »
I'm at a point where it would be much easier to get to the steel lines in the engine compartment. So although I don't have a problem, I'm thinking I should change them now. But it seems companies like Inline Tube have them only for wagons. I called, and they don't know if they will fit an SX/4, and could only tell me buyer beware because they are not returnable.

Can anyone tell me whether those prebent lines would fit on my SX/4?

And should I change these 40 year old steel lines out, or leave well enough alone? The Eagle was sitting for 20 years and the fluid I bled out looks like mud. This is for my daughter so safety is paramount for me.

Thanks!!
'82 Eagle SX/4, 4.2L 5 speed - Father / Daughter Build

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Do brake lines for a wagon fit an SX/4?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 11:13:40 AM »
I would think the steel lines for the front would be the same.  I'm guessing the line to the rear would not, but maybe you could start with that one and modify it on your own to make it fit. 

Good luck, let us know what you decide!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • You can do it right, or do it twice.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 06:42:15 PM »
I was going to replace them in an abundance of caution, but I'm wondering whether I'm just being overly paranoid. I've never heard of a steel line failing, but a buddy of mine swears he knows a guy who knows a guy who stuck a 60s mustang into a guardrail because a steel brake line ruptured while hard braking.

What are your thoughts vangremlin? Would you worry about changing these lines out?
'82 Eagle SX/4, 4.2L 5 speed - Father / Daughter Build

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 07:18:08 PM »
I would inspect the lines and see if there are any obvious issues.  My Kammback had been sitting for about 16 years when I got it, got the engine running and replaced the typical brake stuff but didn't mess with the steel lines.

Remember, before about 67/68 most cars, including Mustangs, came with a single reservoir master cylinder.  If a line failed anywhere, all the brakes were lost.  The Eagles have dual res master cylinders, so if a line fails, you'll still have half the brake system working. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 10:48:36 PM »
I have seen steal lines fail but it's always been when they're severely covered in rust and the cars they were on came from somewhere that uses a lot of salt on the roads in the winter. If you don't see any really rusty areas or even any rust per se you should be fine also you can pick up uunbent brake line at parts stores (it comes in various lengths and sizes) and a small tubing bender for not a lot of money and make your own you can also get the flaring tool there as well.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk