News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:27:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Abandoning my Eagle for lack of a clutch master cylinder  (Read 5777 times)

Offline Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: Abandoning my Eagle for lack of a clutch master cylinder
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 09:17:16 AM »
Pat, I think this is the link that you wanted? One didn’t load correctly. Let me know if it is incorrect. Looks like a good possible source for parts.
I wonder if it is possible to just order the correct o rings from fastenal or grainger or a industrial supply place like those?

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fbrakeandequipment.com%2Fmachine-shop%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2qC2odL3JlPVQ3aZHXKmbg4oVzGr4WVF0ySKAn6kHO76Y7I4KzWVeHQYU&h=AT3-reMKp5GTth6OIEuJGk9LKnYM7sdtKg2M2tI9TNyo2nf2xB1GB3tHBbYZrfeqKHBJCK87WtL_LhMckUQaECC3CTQCuYYxIMAWBBdZHCESr1Z0MR_PRhj-mE2tydgILf2y55H8L6xwBKPiXM0&__tn__=-UK-R&c[0]=AT3-4B5_ohxgJSzcB89eq1JmJGtV3d7OHLPGElP1YRg_t2XaeSQ-V3YkAhHchQsq0ayc_S4ayVeodH2Ue57-qQCF47sz2aGfRc_kC0s57bS8u9XNXzpIlNR4Wf4faFyUyFU4H9DHvZ_eFcyHdIJDbXN3DRrPCIhYVc77rNnzvpY8cJ6uzHe_btuNzobQAt2kvLegckF5ZMLDpy2lyu1Ur73h

I don't know what they were. I tried to copy them from a Studebaker page on spacebook. I just recall there were 2 different posts there. I found it, looks like the guy got 3 different answers. I'll try this again.

#1) https://brakeandequipment.com/machine-shop/

#2) https://whitepost.com/brake-sleeving-rebuilding-services/

#3) http://www.karpspb.com

Like I said, it SOUNDED like what they were talking about earlier in this post & I saw that on the Studebaker page & thought maybe it would help.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 09:25:10 AM by Still Pat »
'83 AMC Eagle wagon 258/auto.
'84 AMC Eagle sedan (4 door) 258/auto.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'72 Gremlin X 304/3 speed
'81 Eagle Kammback 258/4 speed (Purchased new)
'82 Eagle wagon 258/5 speed (Ordered new, traded Kammback)
'86 (I THINK) Eagle wagon - BlackBird 258/auto. (Got hit/totaled)
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 01:33:54 PM »
(I have been echoing my updates of this thread to maddog's 'Clutch master cylinder rebuild kit' thread; I'm going to quit doing that to avoid the repletion. I'll update the other one when I have some kind of solution).

The mystery has deepened, based on my conversation with Jeff at Kennedy American.  He did some research in his AMC parts book and told me that:
  • The 4 cylinder Eagles used a 3/4" MC (which I had kinda figured out)
  • The 6-cylinders used a smaller MC (11/16")
Which doesn't explain why my MC is larger than 3/4".  He said the largest MC AMC ever used was a Ford one that was 13/16" diameter, but I don't know what vehicle that was for.

He also said that the 3/4" MC was interchangeable with the 11/16" MC.  He has a complete 3/4" MC in stock, so that would be a solution if everything he said was correct.  I might just have to take a chance and buy the 3/4 MC and see if it fits.

I've also written to the guy at Blaser Auto, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

I will keep y'all posted...

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 12:49:36 AM »
This came up on an eagle Facebook page. The clutch master on my Sx4 went so I replaced it with a willwood cylinder (260-6088). Had to have lines made because of the different fittings but fit perfect otherwise.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 11:12:56 PM »
Johnbendik,

Not sure if you’ve found a solution yet, but there is currently a 5 speed Eagle wagon for sale on eBay.  it has a 4.0 swap, and also advertises a new clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, and there is a reservoir for the clutch system.  I don’t know if the current owner was involved in the new master/slave cylinder swaps, but you may want to reach out to the owner and see if you can get some of the details.  The link is below, and the auction ends on Tuesday July 13th.  Hope this is helpful

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-AMC-Eagle-/203516833904?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2021, 02:38:31 PM »
Time for another update to this sad story...

I bought the 3/4" bore replacement MC (for $150 delivered) from Jeff at Kennedy American, who assured me that it would fit my Eagle.  Took it to the shop who had been trying to rebuild my old MC with the various rebuild kits I've brought them (they had already given up and  reinstalled the old MC).  They again removed the old MC and installed the brand new one for a negotiated total charge of $400 (for both the attempted rebuilds and the replacement labor).  The clutch seemed to be finally working, with good resistance to the pedal.

Took it out for a off-road cruise that evening with the dog.  Got several miles from home when the old symptoms returned: pedal goes to the floor with little resistance, but can be pumped up enough to shift with several stomps on the pedal.  Managed to make it home safely, although it is very scary to drive when you never know if you'll be able to shift, or even get it out of gear.  If I ever have to make a emergency stop in traffic, there's going to be an accident.

So when I can get my nerve up, I'm going to drive it back to the shop and have them check their work, and maybe bleed the system again.  So far I've spent around $750 replacing both slave and master cylinders, and it's still not drivable by a fully sane person.

The good news (for anyone with clutch MC issues who's following this thread) is that Kennedy American has replacement cylinders that fit.  The guy at Blaser Auto Parts never bothered to return my messages.

I'll let y'all know if things get resolved.  Or, alternatively, attempt to sell you my fine 5-speed Eagle with a few minor problems!

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2021, 04:01:50 PM »
Sounds like progress is being made. Kennedy American has been a great source for parts.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2021, 04:32:58 PM »
Take look at the attach point for the pushrod at the clutch pedal. Make sure that it is not cracked or bent and starting break off. Common problem as well. Would need to remove pedal and re-weld
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2021, 05:51:24 PM »
Thanks, rmick, but it's a hydraulic issue (as opposed to a mechanical one).  You can tell the difference between the pedal pressure when it works and when it doesn't.  And the fact that I can sometimes 'pump it up' makes it clear it's hydraulic.

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2021, 06:13:23 PM »
Was the new cylinder an old NOS part, or a new replacement??  If original NOS, the 30-40-year-old seals may have just given up.   If new replacement part, about 20% of those are bad right out of the box (personal experience speaking here).  I hope its an easy fix.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2021, 04:34:49 PM »
I believe you have hit the nail on the head, George.  I talked to Jeff at Kennedy American and confirmed that the MC was NOS.  It actually came with a Girling rebuild kit, presumably for that reason.  Unfortunately, I didn't figure any of that out before I had the mechanic install it.

So the logical thing to do would be to drive it back to the shop and have them take it off again and install the new seals.  However, the car is now even harder to drive safely.  I tried driving it around the block and the pedal went to the floor several times, although I can usually pump it back up to shift.

I had already decided to sell the Eagle, but I really wanted to fix the clutch first, as that obviously would enhance the value.  But I'm not sure I would get that additional $400-$500 (towing and labor for the rebuild) back when I sold it.  So now I have  a decision to make.  If I could get $2000 for it as is, I would go for it.  The 5-speed 6-cylinders are relatively rare, the engine runs great, and I've done some nice enhancements (wheels/tires, aluminum valve cover, custom headliner, 'big-cap' distributor upgrade, headlight relays, completely new brakes and (ironically) both clutch cylinders, etc.).  I don't know if that number is realistic, though.

Thanks again for the tip. 
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2021, 05:58:45 PM »
I'd think $2K would be a way-fair price.  If no Den member wants it, email me a few pics and description details, and I'll send it to my Houston AMC Club pals.   Maybe one of them would want it - especially since its close by.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2021, 04:56:22 PM »
My last update to this thread...

I went and talked to the shop that had attempted to rebuild my old MC, and who installed the NOS one I had bought from Kennedy American without using the rebuild kit that was supplied with it.  I was hoping to guilt them into offering to tow my Eagle in and install the rebuild kit for free, but they would not go for it.

So I will be running an ad here on the Den and see if I can get $2000-$2500 for it as is.  I would really like to see it go to one of our regulars so I can follow its progress as someone else's project car. 

If it doesn't sell here, AMC of Houston,  I'll let you know and you can run it past your club buddies.

Thanks again to all who weighed in with advice.  And good luck to you, jrpentolino, since you are on a similar journey with your clutch.  I've discovered that the whole 'project car' thing just doesn't work when you're physically unable to work on the car yourself, and have to pay a mechanic to 'try' stuff.  I'll just have to live vicariously through you...

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline kailiedtke

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2021, 12:30:29 PM »
I just ordered a master cylinder repair kit from Rock Auto, and they do specify 4 or 6 cylinder. The one I ordered for my 6 cylinder is part number SP5902. We'll see if it is correct when it gets here, but hope this helps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk