News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:32:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coil Spring Removal Question  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Coil Spring Removal Question
« on: February 23, 2021, 06:25:51 PM »
Hello all,

This is my first time removing any kind of front coil springs. I bought the best compressor Eastwood had because the thing looked really safe and beefy.  It does seem very safe worth the 150 bucks compared to the stuff I've seen at the chain stores.

I was reading through the removal steps.  I'm rebuilding the front end I have the steering knuckle completely off the car.  I removed the shock. 

The steps say to put the compressor on and compress the spring a bit, jack up the car, remove the tire, then unbolt the lower coil container. Then compress the spring until it comes loose and slide it out with the lower spring retainer.  Is that correct?

I'm wondering if I can should just compress the spring until it clears the lower spring retainer then pull it out?

Just a bit nervous about doing this so I want to know how you guys have done it.

Thanks!
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
Re: Coil Spring Removal Question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 07:49:58 PM »
Seems like your about half way there. I used a loaner spring compressor from Advance Auto. It wasn’t too difficult to remove. Just be very careful.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 11:31:37 PM »
Yes the original tool attached to the lower spring retainer using the holes that the shock mounts to thats why th manual says to remove the retainer..  The tool you have will allow you to compress spring and remove it without removing the spring retainer. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HHoAAMXQROxRfK~E/s-l1600.jpg
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 01:07:23 PM »
UPdate:  I finally got the springs out.  I actually saw a video of someone removing a classic mustang suspension which is very similar to the Eagle and figured out how this works.

The eastwood tool worked great and was very safe. I had no issues of it slipping.  However, the tool isn't the best one to use for this type of suspension.  It's is the most common type out there. https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-macpherson-strut-and-coil-spring-compressor.html

If you use this type of tool try the following steps. Fyi I had the wheel removed and the car was on jack stands:

1. remove the shock
2. install the spring compression tool. Only snug the tool to the spring as a safety measure as you follow the rest of the steps.
3. Remove the two nuts from both spring seat spindle. The spring seat spindle is bolted to the upper control arm.
4. Compress the spring with the spring compressor. As the spring compresses, the spring seat will loosen.
5. Once the spring is compressed enough, You should be able to pull the spring out with the spring seat.  You might need to use a pry bar to push the upper control arm down to clear the spring seat spindle bolts.
6. slowly loosen the spring compressor to release the tension on the spring.

I hope this helps the noobs out there like me.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:10:34 PM by Beaverseagle »
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk