News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:41:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The full XJ to Eagle swap process  (Read 32402 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: The full XJ to Eagle swap process
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 10:51:19 AM »
Added some more info, hoping to be driving it soon with a few more bits and bobs complete. Some, like the dash, I have good ideas for but may have to wait.

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »
I'm still looking for the pics for when I  do the same to an 83 wagon I have a 95 XJ for a full swap. I intend to use the jeep front axle to keep the gear set matched to the transmission. I don't want to change the steering column but everything else is on the to do list.
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 04:23:22 PM »
The gears won't fit the Eagle diff.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 12:33:45 AM »

Battery :  I unbolted the battery tray from the drivers side, drilled holes in the same place on the passenger side and and just extending the battery cable across the engine (or where the headlight wiring strings across). Stock XJ fans are free to do their job, both mechanical and electric, without a problem. Have to do a minor bit of mounting work for the stock electric fan, not much.

I am curious as to see how the battery is mounted, as my eagle, and MJ both have the battery on the passenger side. I am also curious as to what you did with the coolant temperature switch that was in the radiator. (at least renix uses one, not sure about the high output 4.0)

Yup. Stock XJ exhaust fits like a glove.

We made a bracket that doesn't use the engine to hang from.

was just part of the xj exhaust used on the eagle or was there more used?  Keep up the good work, this is an interesting thread, I am interested in seeing how it turns out, and I also see that this could be useful for a 4.0 swap write-up.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:34:08 AM by 1985amceagle »
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 09:56:04 PM »
I used the downpipe right off of the motor, it fits around the front axle / diff nicely and crosses right where the stock Eagle/Jeep would. Since i used the transmission mount from the XJ it even slides in the stock notch for it. After that I made a 45* bend towards the exhaust, about 10" or so straight, then another 45* to go back to the muffler (I put on a Thrush muffler, dear lord it sounds mean).

The battery tray, just unbolt from the passenger side, carry to the driver's side, figure where to drill and mount it. Both sides are identical minus the holes for the tray.

XJ gears won't fit the Eagle diff? Sure looks like they do, considering I've already taken the gears from an XJ and put them in a differential but the pinion is screwed. I think there were 2 different pumpkins for the front of the Eagle, XJ gears fit in some but not others.

Unless you're talking about something else. I am rather tired and about to just glue the :censored: gauges to the f*ing dash and call it a day.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:59:26 PM by Nightpath »

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 09:58:05 PM »
The gears won't fit the Eagle diff.
I'm planning to change over both axles. Likely to end up with a Franken-car ;D
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »
I considered it, SFA would be ub3r. I did a dry run with old XJ gears to make sure that what I take out of the front axle of my donor would work, if they didn't I was going to look into a solid axle. Easiest way to do it is find a really small long arm kit and throw it in, or modify an existing one IMO.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
XJ front diff is high pinion so the gears won't mesh in the low pinion Eagle housing. Could that be the screwed pinion problem?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:51:17 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 12:48:03 PM »
I used the downpipe right off of the motor, it fits around the front axle / diff nicely and crosses right where the stock Eagle/Jeep would. Since i used the transmission mount from the XJ it even slides in the stock notch for it. After that I made a 45* bend towards the exhaust, about 10" or so straight, then another 45* to go back to the muffler (I put on a Thrush muffler, dear lord it sounds mean).

The battery tray, just unbolt from the passenger side, carry to the driver's side, figure where to drill and mount it. Both sides are identical minus the holes for the tray.

XJ gears won't fit the Eagle diff? Sure looks like they do, considering I've already taken the gears from an XJ and put them in a differential but the pinion is screwed. I think there were 2 different pumpkins for the front of the Eagle, XJ gears fit in some but not others.

Unless you're talking about something else. I am rather tired and about to just glue the :censored: gauges to the f*ing dash and call it a day.
thanks for clarifying that, even just a 4.0 swap sounds like it would be doable now. it sounds like a lot would cross over, so its sad that the 87-88 eagles dint get the renix 4.0. it would have made the eagle a whole different animal
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:48:18 PM by 1985amceagle »
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
XJ front diff is high pinion so the gears won't mesh in the low pinion Eagle housing. Could that be the screwed pinion problem?

I'm using the gears from a SX/4 front axle with a few pieces from the XJ, I think the pinion bearing is the piece I need and I already fit one of those in my spare front housing (it'd be loud though)

I thought that there was a discussion about the front differentials that came in the Eagle. I thought there were several different ones. High pinion, low pinion, vacuum and non-vacuum disconnect.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:45:30 PM by Nightpath »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »
Grand Cherokee front diff is low pinion so it would work.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »
IIf all else fails I'll have to spring for a kit to fix it right. With the amount of modified and cobbled on this rig....I think I'm losing my mind lol

Reference this post where I recieved a bit of my information :

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=21608.0
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 01:51:11 PM by Nightpath »

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 12:02:07 PM »
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 12:11:57 PM »
Took a hiatus from working on the old beast. His garage was nailed by thieves pretty bad and with the holidays we just took a break. Should be back at it soon.

Only things left to do really are the shifters, the VSS or odometer are bad (no speed), fuel reads really low (might be the float in the tank), batten up some of the lines underneath and clean it up a bit. Windshield needs replacing and the rear hatch needs to be resealed. Oil pan gasket is a bit leaky in places as well, probably loosened up with engine testing so I'll have to check the torque on each.

This summer I'll be working on the body and interior panels (remove, sand, repaint with something that actually sticks).

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 07:25:27 AM »
Sorry to hear! I am watching your progress cause i am planning a jeep trans with gear swap job.....just planning but its great to get the game pland first. I am courious on your dash project also....very good work
Joe Washburn
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 eagle sedan 4.0 mpfi
1998 jeep grand

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk