News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:55:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2100 install  (Read 10120 times)

Offline eagle503

• "I'm not a mechanic I'm a parts replacer give me the book I can do it"
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
2100 install
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:09:24 PM »
I have a used 2100 kit being dropped of first thing in the morning! Finally I can get rid of this carter! :hello2:
It was on a 86 jeep so it should work for me and if it doesn't a newly rebuilt carter is coming with it.
So I am looking for some good how to on the install and some good pictures of the throttle linkage. My eagle is an 85 automatic.

I got this stuff site unseen so I am keeping my fingers crossed but the guy said it was all in good shape.
He said he had a carter and every thing that he pulled off with it and a motor craft 2100 kit with a cold air intake filter set up put in boxes when he pulled them off and put on a shelf.
He said I could have it all for 75 bucks!! :blob1: Like I could turn that down?

Only one problem He is in Portland and I am on the coast, no problem my buddy lives up there and works down here so I set it all up and sent him with cash. He had no idea what he was piking up so we will see what I get. he did call me after he piked it up trying to talk me out of the "nice air filter" for his honda,I said no way that's for my Eagle!
Click for YOUR_TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eagle503

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
Re: 2100 install
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 11:31:57 AM »
I love a great deal!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got all this for 75 bucks...Score!!!!!!!!!!!
Everything is in pretty good shape, the carter has a fresh rebuild it is really clean and the motorcraft seems to be in good working order it even had fuel in it. Even came with a nice Airaid filter setup.Even got the rite carb stamped 1.08 still need to check the jets though. I could use a little help with the install this is my first carb swap.

rohnk

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:34:39 AM »
Nice! I am green with envy at that deal!  :occasion14: Cheers!

Offline eagle503

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:56:11 PM »
I want to get all this figured out before I start so I have a few questions about the vac hookups.To my understanding it should be as follows~
#1 to vapor canister
#2 vacuum source for brake booster and pcv
#3 choke heater and vacuum source for distributor
#4 filtered air for pcv
Is this correct?

I have the throttle linkage figured out I did not like the L bracket set up I have seen and the linkage on the 2100 I got looks different than most I have seen so I took lots of measurements of the throttle linkage on both carbs while I had them sitting next to each other and made a bracket to put the linkage in same place it was so their should be no clearance issues.

This is the 2100's linkage on the left and the carters linkage on the right then the adapter installed.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:30:07 PM by eagle503 »

Offline eagle503

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 01:06:48 PM »
All the forums I have read say there is a manifold vac port on the back of the carb for the pcv and booster but mine does not have this port. Can I use vac from the back of the manifold where the 4x4 hooks up? Or do I need to drill and tap a port into the carb? You can see in pic #4 where it would be. I have also heard of a vac port being drilled into the adapter plate would this work? And #2 is the hookup for EGR correct? Do I need the evap canister? I have read that the 2100 vents into the air cleaner. And does any body run a filter like this on their eagle? Will it fit under the hood?
Thanks Guys!

Offline eagle503

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »
Ok so I see that the booster is taped into the manifold can I T off of this for the PCV?

Offline eagle503

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:13:17 PM »
Well the sun was out today so the carb is in and the Eagle is running (ish). I could use some Eagle owner specific advice on the vac hookups and tuning the carb. I am getting ready to _nutter_ it and set the timing this evening or tomorrow. I have never done timing or tuned a carb before so I would really appreciate some input from you guys, Do I really need the timing lite, tachometer, and vac gauge ? Is it possible to do it by ear? I don't know what to do about the pcv system any suggestions?
thanks!

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 10:52:53 PM »
If you have never done it before, then a timing light and a tach are pretty necessary.   PCV system shouldn't need anything changed to it, other than the hose has to be moved to the new carb.  Good luck.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eagle503

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 11:29:31 PM »
No pcv hookup on the new carb can I run it on manifold vac?

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 12:20:57 AM »
I want to get all this figured out before I start so I have a few questions about the vac hookups.To my understanding it should be as follows~
#1 to vapor canister
#2 vacuum source for brake booster and pcv
#3 choke heater and vacuum source for distributor
#4 filtered air for pcv
Is this correct?

I have the throttle linkage figured out I did not like the L bracket set up I have seen and the linkage on the 2100 I got looks different than most I have seen so I took lots of measurements of the throttle linkage on both carbs while I had them sitting next to each other and made a bracket to put the linkage in same place it was so their should be no clearance issues.

This is the 2100's linkage on the left and the carters linkage on the right then the adapter installed.

I have a Motorcraft carb on my Eagle.  From what I have read, and how I have mine hooked up, both limited by what I remember, #1 is correct, run the booster off of the port on the intake manifold, and if you don't have a connection on the back of the carb for the PCV, you can connect that to the same port as the brake booster, and #4 goes to the breather that is at towards the back of the valve cover.  I believe I have the small port in #3 going to the distributor, but can't remember exactly.  I'd have to look to see how or if I use #2.  Hope this is helpful.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eagle503

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »
Hay thanks vangremlin I knew I was pretty close. I found this link last night it was very helpful http://files.meetup.com/633539/Installing%20the%20MotorCraft%20on%20a%20258.pdf lots of good info there!

Thanks for the invite casper maybe my girls and I will come out that way and do some camping this summer we will see.

What kind of advice do you guys have on tuning this thing? It is in and running but it is rough and hot. It starts with a little gas pretty easy but wont hold a low idle. I don't have a tach to go by or a timing light and vacuum gauge but I have my antennas up for them. I did do the ecm test done last night so it is neutered.

That air raid filter set up mite fit under a jeeps hood but it wont even squeeze under my Eagle"s! Which means I am off to napa for one that does.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »
What jets and power valve are you running?

What is your elevation?

What ignition ae you running?

You will need to do the ECM Test Bypass.

PCV should be a direct connection to the carb (MANIFOLD VACUUM)  as should the distributor advance (to ported vacuum)

ALL other vacuum with the exception of the red line for the 4x4 should go away.  You can keep the bowl vent tube if desired.

Is this a 1.08 venturis 2150?

What adapter did you use?

Nice linkage by the way.  You understood how it works!!!
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline eagle503

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 03:29:38 PM »
What jets and power valve are you running?

What is your elevation?

What ignition ae you running?

You will need to do the ECM Test Bypass.

PCV should be a direct connection to the carb (MANIFOLD VACUUM)  as should the distributor advance (to ported vacuum)

ALL other vacuum with the exception of the red line for the 4x4 should go away.  You can keep the bowl vent tube if desired.

Is this a 1.08 venturis 2150?

What adapter did you use?

Nice linkage by the way.  You understood how it works!!!

I dont know what jets or power valve are in it
If there werent a bunch of buildings in the way i could see the waves crashing from here so elevation is zero but the mountains we romp in are bout 2000 feet at there tallest.

stock ignition.

done with the ecm

my pcv is tied into the booster line. so is the vapor canister. where does the canister  perge signal come from?

I did not get any info with the carb, it is stamped 1.08 on the side. I took lots of pictures i can post if necessary.

It came with the mr.gasket adapter.

I put a lot of thought into The linkage and it worked out perfect no tweaking necessary it works just like the carters did. There were to many post on the web with shotty L bracket setups and complaints about not getting it to work rite. I bench mounted both carbs in the same exact spot with the rite spacers and gaskets and took some measurements of the swing and position of the linkage in relation to each other. It seemed important to get the linkage ball in the same spot and swinging the same arc so that's what I did

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:11:33 AM by eagle503 »

Offline eagle503

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 01:57:51 PM »

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 02:43:24 PM »
Looking at your box of parts, the Mr Gasket 2-2 adapter you have will NOT work with out an additional thermal isolater gasket to seal the rear base of the carb.  Have you done this?
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline eagle503

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »

Looking at your box of parts, the Mr Gasket 2-2 adapter you have will NOT work with out an additional thermal isolater gasket to seal the rear base of the carb.  Have you done this?
Yes I did. I got one new from napa.

Offline BajaMx1983SX4

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2021, 02:41:54 AM »
Great Job!! Do u sell the adapter?? I NEED one!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk