News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:52:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Sender lost Calibration  (Read 2119 times)

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Fuel Sender lost Calibration
« on: July 12, 2019, 09:48:12 AM »
I had to replace my gas tank and that meant removing the fuel sender unit. Before it was removed it worked great and was accurate and ohm'd out fine per spec (248-31 ohms). I carefully removed and transplanted it into the new tank (because I know they are unobtanium) but after al that it seems to be out of spec now.

Full tank reads 3 ohms and pegs the needle WAY past the F. Empty tank with the sender arm resting on the end stop only goes to 156 ohms, which puts the gauge at about the 1/4 mark. Unplugging the unit entirely does as expected and the gauge falls to E, so the wiring and gauge itself are still good.
Slowly moving the float from full to empty and back doesn't show jumps or drop-offs, so there's no breaks in the pickup track but I can't see a calibration adjustment and I didn't roughhandle the unit so what gives?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Fuel Sender lost Calibration
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 11:46:01 PM »
Could there be a ground issue?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 05:06:34 PM »
Verified that. The pigtail on the sender is good and I cleaned up around the bolt that secures it to the chassis. I know the battery/block to chassis ground is also good because I serviced that three months ago. Sender resistance is very much out of spec but inconsistent with a broken or shorted slider.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 05:07:04 PM by MIPS »

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 07:58:23 AM »
Galvin's AMC/Rambler has replacement fuel sending units for $139 plus shipping, P/N 04-0700.

American Parts Depot has them as well for $135 plus shipping, which is actually down like $20 from where it was a month or so ago if I remember correctly.  (P/N 936 1503J)

Hope this helps!

David
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 09:35:48 PM »
I will keep that in mind, but for now I was correct and the internal slider has shifted. To disassemble the sender there's three metal tabs you need to pry up, then mark the current end stops for the lever (or you will lose your armature calibration) and straighten the end stops and the piece pops out. Inside is a very fine winding of nichrome wire and the copper slider. Note the cracked bushing that allows the slider to shift, which is currently my problem.

There's still some grip on the shaft which I think is all I can work with because I can't think of any adhesive that will survive immersion in gas so I was able to nudge it back where it should be, then reassemble and adjust back the end stops for a fairly good range of resistance again.

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »
don't know if this would work but maybe JB weld

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 09:57:56 AM »
I would not trust it for long periods.
I think I'm just gonna keep suing it until it fails again, then install a new sender. I just need to make it through the weekend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk