News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 04, 2024, 10:53:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LONGER SHOCKS!!!  (Read 9279 times)

Offline casper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
LONGER SHOCKS!!!
« on: February 06, 2014, 11:09:24 PM »
so honeybadger's right front shock started leaking oil. so i ordered shocks for an 82 eagle sx4 from our napa store that supplies our shop. got them in, and they were 3" shorter than the shocks that came off. they would only allow about 1" of suspension drop when sitting at ride height. not going to work. so i found that ford granada shocks were longer. only about 1.5" shorter than the shocks that came off. so i put those on. now the left front NEW shock is blowing oil out of it like crazy. so today, i sent my old LONG shock to our napa manager. asked him to find a shock that would match so i could keep my articulation and suspension travel. his call back to me was "you should have ordered shocks for a REAL car man. i found some for you." turns out, all the dimensions he could find, '62-'68 chevy II shocks measure VERY close to what i took off. he couldnt get info on the lower mount spacing. i have a pair that will be in my hands tomorrow morning, and i will find out if they will work or not. and NO honeybadger is not lifted in the front anymore. stock height.
62 rambler classic 2 door (casper)
63 rambler american 440 (rosie)
79 spirit (drag race car)
82 eagle station wagon (rotty wagon)
82 sx4 (honeybadger)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: LONGER SHOCKS!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 11:15:27 PM »
Interested to see what you find out.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline casper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 03:24:31 AM »
i have shocks in hand!!! the chevy II shocks i got are about 1/2-3/4" longer than the stock shocks that came off honeybadger. the eagle shocks i ordered were about 1.5" shorter than the shocks i took off honeybadger. so now, i have found LONGER shocks, that means more suspension travel ESPECIALLY if you have a lifted eagle like honeybadger is about to be. i didnt get them on today, as i had to take honeybadger to the shoe store and spend almost $700 on 4 new tires. the tires i chose to put on, got tested tonight. they are FRIGGIN AWSOME!!!!
82 sx4 (honeybadger)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 09:54:47 AM »
Were the shocks that came off, OEM shocks? I'm sure the aftermarket finds shocks from other vehicles that are similar and try to use them on multiple vehicles to save on costs. My only concern is that the collapsed length of those Chevy shocks are 1.5" longer than the Monroe spec. But I wonder what the OEM specs were? I would make sure your bump stop hits before the shock  bottoms out.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline casper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »
i have never even gotten close to hitting the bump stop, and there should be no reason the shock will bottom out. i dont run it like a rally fighter can run. lol. i dont think theres any way i will bottom out a shock. but like i said, when i get them on, i will get it twisted up and see what happens. and i have no idea if the shocks that came off were stock spec or not. i know that the shocks napa gave me for an eagle would only let my suspension drop 1.5 " from ride height. thats not enough drop just on the highway.
82 sx4 (honeybadger)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »
i have never even gotten close to hitting the bump stop, and there should be no reason the shock will bottom out. i dont run it like a rally fighter can run. lol

I've been meaning to check out the flex on my 86 Eagle and see how close to the bump stop it is when it's at full compression.

1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline casper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 11:13:11 PM »
those are some AWSOME pics!!!

i dont do THAT kind of off roading. i run our dirt roads in the desert, and i have yet to find a wash i couldnt get across out here. i still dont think these longer shocks will bottom out before the bumpstop.
82 sx4 (honeybadger)

Offline casper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 11:32:58 PM »
heres a pic of the shock that came off honeybadger, and the ones i got to try. the shocks on right now are about that difference shorter than the yellow shock. the "eagle" specific shock i got was about 2" shorter at the bushing seat. fully collapsed, the longer shock was about 1/2" longer at the mounting point. cant get a picture as the gas in the shock is pushing it out so it wont stay in. you can see the tubes are close. i had honeybadger at full flex once, and there was still about 1.5" of rod out of the tube. i think it will be real close to bottoming out, but NOT QUITE. when i get them on, i will twist it out and find out.
82 sx4 (honeybadger)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 01:07:09 PM »
Casper, I'm ready to hear your thoughts on these springs. Hoping to lift Penny up an inch or two in the next 2 weeks and need to know what shocks I should order. I've heard I can just get the Sensa-tracs or Max-Air ones and use shock extender bolts...

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 12:18:20 PM »
Any updates on this? I'm ordering new shocks all around for the Eagle, would love to ensure that I get the right ones.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 12:32:54 PM »
Casper doesn't get on the forums anymore. Might be able to hail him on the Facebook page. Dave Stohler.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 12:38:18 PM »
I gave him a shout out on the Den page. We'll see if he replies.

Offline casper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »
the chevy II shocks have been GREAT. ride really smooth, allow for all the suspension travel possible. NAPA part number NS 5756 is the part number i have been running.
82 sx4 (honeybadger)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 07:52:57 AM »
Would they be too long for stock?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »
They are for '62 -'67 Chevy II/Nova, Pontiac Acadian. '68 Nova is 1.5" inch shorter with different ends

NS 5756 specifications
Lower Mount : SP
Shock Compressed Length : 10"
Shock Dust Shield : No
Shock Extended Length : 15.5"
Shock Travel Length : 5.5"
Upper Mount : S4
Shock Parts Pack Part # : P1137 & P423

RR 94104 (listed for the Eagle at NAPA)
 Attributes:
Lower Mount : Special Mount
Shock Compressed Length : 8.5"
Shock Extended Length : 12.875"
Shock Travel Length : 4.375"
Upper Mount : Stem 3/8" x 16
Shock Parts Pack Part # : P423 & P840

If you already have good shocks but need an inch or so length, there is shock extenders. I needed 3" longer for my Comanche so I made my own with water pipe that I tapped the inside to fit the shock and exhaust stud I was using as an extension.

I can post a pic (on my Comanche) I also had to use chain clamps the pipe to keep the studs in because they were turned undersize.

If the Chevy II ones are too long and the listed shock is too short, then the other option is

NS 5809 or RR 94061
Lower Mount : SP
Shock Compressed Length : 9"
Shock Extended Length : 13.625"
Shock Travel Length : 4.625"
Upper Mount : S4
Shock Parts Pack Part # : P1136 & P423
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:44:23 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk