News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:03:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Tank Sending unit conversion.  (Read 18751 times)

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Fuel Tank Sending unit conversion.
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 11:03:23 PM »
I've never seen an accurate gas gauge in any car. Full is always some undetermined level above "F" and empty is somewhere around the "E". One car has 5 gallons left, the next stalls when you brake hard.

The incline our tanks have doesn't help anything either in the accuracy department. I'd have to pull out the old calculus book to figure out how to do integrals to measure the actual level in the tank.

My best advice is to try to get it as best you can in range of motion dry, then drive around with a 5-gallon can in the trunk until you're sure how far past "E" empty is. Although, if you keep an eye on your fillups, you can guesstimate where the needle is when you put in 18-20 gallons at a fillup. It may take longer, but you don't risk filling your car in a bad location.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Softbuster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 10:32:11 PM »
Well I finally got my tank finished today.  So then I went to install the sending unit and ran into a small problem.
It would not fit into the hole in the tank!
I ended up taking the float arm back off, putting it in the tank first, then putting the pickup tube in and reattaching the float arm while it is sticking out of the tank.
I also had to gently squeeze the sending unit arm over a little to get it in the tank.

THEN I had to take it all back apart and do it over because I forgot the O-ring seal!!  :banghead:

But it is now ready to go on the car.

1985 Eagle sedan rescue project

Offline Softbuster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 08:33:45 PM »
Today I re installed the gas tank and hooked everything up, and it works well.  It took about three gallons for the gas needle to show above the "E" line.

Word to the wise:  It is easier to put the fuel line on the tank vent before installing the tank.   :P

Whoever is in charge, if you feel like writing up a report and put it on the Eaglepedia, feel free to do so and feel free to use the pictures too.

Keith.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:42:11 PM by Softbuster »

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 05:04:04 PM »
This conversion will not work on an SX/4 or Kammback.  The fuel pickup/sending unit is mounted horizontally on the front (or back) of the gas tank.  The aftermarket sending unit would be rotated 90* from where it should be if you tried installing it.  I'm in the process of attempting to find a solution to this, but don't have much faith at this point.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 07:55:46 PM »
This conversion will not work on an SX/4 or Kammback.  The fuel pickup/sending unit is mounted horizontally on the front (or back) of the gas tank.  The aftermarket sending unit would be rotated 90* from where it should be if you tried installing it.  I'm in the process of attempting to find a solution to this, but don't have much faith at this point.

New sending units for the SX/4 and Kammback are available from American Parts Depot.  That's where I got mine.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 08:06:59 PM »
This conversion will not work on an SX/4 or Kammback.  The fuel pickup/sending unit is mounted horizontally on the front (or back) of the gas tank.  The aftermarket sending unit would be rotated 90* from where it should be if you tried installing it.  I'm in the process of attempting to find a solution to this, but don't have much faith at this point.

New sending units for the SX/4 and Kammback are available from American Parts Depot.  That's where I got mine.

I saw that, but wasn't too thrilled about the $130 price tag.  I was hoping for a cheaper solution.  I may have found a way to mount the universal sending unit, but can't get to the hardware store for bolts right now.

My fuel sock was also fallen apart when I took the assembly out, and it doesn't look like parts stores carry them.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 06:36:23 PM »
Well I got everything bolted together and was able to fit it into the tank.  I have not completely tested everything yet though, as I am waiting for a new fuel sock (what a :censored: to find).  Here are some pictures to document how I performed this conversion.

Note: This may not be the most effective or easiest way to perform this conversion, but it worked with the limited parts I had available at the time.  Also, the installation was very tight for me, so if anyone replicates this, be careful of how you mount things together.

What the original pickup and sender looked like after pulling it out of the tank.  It was missing both the filter and the float.  Notice that the pickup for the small body eagles is oriented differently than the big body eagles.

The next step was marking the highest, lowest, and middle point of the float.  (I forgot to take a picture until after I gutted the unit, which is why the float arm is missing.)  I also learned that it helps to mark everything with a pen or marker, as you'll be moving the main body, and things tend to get bumped around.

Now it is time to gut the old system.  There are three tabs that need to be bent up, allowing the sending unit to be separated from the case.  You can gut the rest of it.  Once it is gutted, the tabs that originally acted as stops for the float arm can be bent down and are used to mount the new sending unit.  This is how it looks gutted and with the stops bent down:

The hardest part (which lacks pictures the most)  Was modifying the aftermarket sending unit bracket to bolt up to the stock case.  I am kind of glad I didn't take more picture and don't have more steps, because there are probably better ways to do it than I did.
When deciding how high to mount the unit, you just need to get the middle set up right.  The top and bottom are taken care of by how long you cut the float arm.
Here is my finished product:

When installing the unit, some disassembly may be required.  Like softbuster did, I removed the float arm and reattached it after placing it and the pickup in the tank.  I learned later when removing things that this was not necessary in my case.  It is up to you whether you try with or without removing it.
I did, however, have to unscrew the top screw on the bracket, allowing the sending unit to pivot.  After getting everything in the tank, I put the screw back in, realigning it.  Even with doing this, it was a very tight fit to get the pieces in the hole.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 06:40:06 PM by Draekon »

Offline Softbuster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 09:43:43 PM »
Cool.

I didn't realize that some eagles had the sending unit mounted horizontally like that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:48:37 PM by Softbuster »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk