News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:03:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need for brass punches  (Read 5531 times)

Offline Psomion

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 12
Need for brass punches
« on: March 31, 2012, 09:43:55 PM »
I was surprised recently when I went to sears for some brass punches, they were mail order only! I needed them to change a fuel pump (steel on steel around gas is a bad idea). I came up with a way of safely and with good control converting a steel punch to a brass one. The punch I needed was slightly smaller than .22 cal.. and what quality human doesn't have a ton of this brass just sitting around?!?! If you don't, ask a quality friend to take you to a gun range and it will likely be all over the ground (unless brass prices are really high). Now, I do recommend putting some dish detergent in the case to neutralizer any residual powder and clean it out with a q-tip, it would be silly to replace steel on steel with steel on gunpowder (that would go in the "don't do this" forum). It worked great and I didn't have to buy a rather expensive brass punch!
Doug II
1965 Rambler Marlin (Resto Project)
1968 American Motors Javelin SSt (290 auto)
1988 American Motors Eagle (VIN and Title only)

rohnk

Re: Need for brass punches
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:03:07 PM »
I've seen them at Harbor Freight stores before. Maybe in the plumbing section of Lowes or a place like that would have something you could use.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 09:40:07 AM »
Hmmmm, I was thinking he was refering to causeing a spark when useing the punch.........?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:04:38 AM »
Hmmmm, I was thinking he was refering to causeing a spark when useing the punch.........?
Yes, this is what Psomion is referring to. I've used a wood dowel when I couldn't find a brass punch handy. However, if it's really tight the would dowel will just splinter.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Psomion

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 12:02:09 PM »
Indeed I am talking about striking, not connections (connections are a whole different issue with dissimilar metals). This is more a safety tip for rambler mentality types who don't even want to buy cheap tools but also don't want to catch on fire! A nice feature of the shell case is that it hugs the punch so you don't lose it while working the tool. For any reading this and not sure the process I'm talking of, on fuel tanks there is a steel ring that screws into the tank and holds fuel pumps. It has small tabs that stick up around the diameter and rather than using a wrench you must hit these tabs to tighten and loosen the ring. A wood dowel isn't a bad option either (and you could always reinforce it with the brass too!)
Doug II
1965 Rambler Marlin (Resto Project)
1968 American Motors Javelin SSt (290 auto)
1988 American Motors Eagle (VIN and Title only)

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 08:58:52 PM »
Hmm, I have done hundreds of those style fuel pump retaining rings using simply a screwdriver and a hammer, no problems at all.  And most of the fuel pumps you get nowadays are aluminum or some kind of composite rather than steel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk