News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:03:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Defogger Switch New to Old Style Conversion  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Defogger Switch New to Old Style Conversion
« on: October 12, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »
Hello All,

So the toggle arm broke off my defogger switch. Seems like this is pretty common.  The SX4 rear window fogs up all the time, so I don't want to rely on a poorly designed switch.

I found a AMC new/old stock defogger push button switch.  There is a transistor connecting the two to leads into the switch. I figured this was the timer.  So I bought a defogger relay and hooked everything up. Everything seems to be working properly but this AMC defogger switch.

When I hook leads from the ignition to the leads one way, the switch stays on all the time and does not turn off.  When I reverse the connection, the switch only stays on with I depress the switch.

switch I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/141237680924?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Is my switch broken or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 03:25:47 PM by Beaverseagle »
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Defogger Switch New to Old Style Conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 03:27:15 PM »
I had one of those push button switches in my 81 Eagle.  Mine would continue to stay on once I pushed the button. I eventually changed to the newer style switch so it would turn off.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 03:42:48 PM »
Lol awesome. I think the new style are NLA. If all else fails I'll just put a simple on off switch in and become the timer.
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 03:45:18 PM »
Do you have some photos of the old switch in place?  I've thought about doing this for the very same reason and I have all the parts to try it.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk