News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:45:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Non-stepper BBD running rich  (Read 2604 times)

Offline jeepneagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Non-stepper BBD running rich
« on: December 22, 2019, 12:44:27 PM »
I'm getting my 84 Limited wagon back on the road. PO replaced the feedback BBD with a rebuilt non-stepper unit. I'm trying to get this thing tuned, but it runs rich at cruise. Here's what I've done:

Removed CEC system
Rewired ICM to bypass computer
Routed vacuum lines to pre-CEC configuration (vacuum is 18in at idle)
Reset base timing to 10°BTDC
replaced vapor canister
replaced fuel filter and hoses
adjusted choke and high idle to factory specs (works great and opens fully when warm)
Tuned idle mix to 14:1AFR

My problem is when cruising my AFR drops to 12:1. I adjusted the metering rod step-up piston to .040in and the accelerator pump to .500in as per te TSM and reset the metering rod lock screw to no avail. I even tried turning the adjustment on the step-up piston counter-clockwise another turn which should lean out the mix, but no dice. Every time I adjust the metering rods, I redo the lock screw like the manual says. What else would cause a rich condition when cruising?

1984 Eagle Limited

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk