News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 15, 2024, 01:55:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project FREEagle  (Read 25123 times)

Prafeston

Project FREEagle
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »
Not sure where this is going to take me, but I thought I'd start the thread. Took some pics of the underside and it's not as bad as I was thinking it might be.

Freeagle in all her beauty.

Rear Axel

Passenger Side Rear

Passenger Side Side

Passenger Side Front

Driver Side Rear

Driver Side Side

Driver Side Front

Some other things of note

Front driver side got in a little accident it would appear

Passenger Side Front Fender

Passenger Side Rear Fender Flare...as far as I can tell that's the worst rust spot...I'm sure I'll find more though.

And almost all the paint is in some sort of disarray! :)

Some things of positive note. Center Gauge Cluster and passenger side visor/vanity mirror...though it looks like it may be broken.

This key is for an Eagle! :)

Some pics with TQ

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:23:04 PM by Prafeston »

rohnk

Re: Project FREEagle
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »
Cool! I am glad everything has worked out so well for you. Wonderful! I wonder if the tape deck works better than the one you have in TQ? Maybe you can swap them and have your 80's tunes at the ready!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:30:01 PM »
Floorboards look solid, other rust looks minor - congratulations!

Prafeston

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:46:04 PM »
I wonder if the tape deck works better than the one you have in TQ? Maybe you can swap them and have your 80's tunes at the ready!

Interesting thing about the tape deck...both cars are '83 Limiteds, yet their radios aren't the same. I was wondering if it would work better than the one in TQ. I'll be looking into it.

Freeagle has all the option TQ was left without.

Foglight switch is there...as well as the whole drilled in the bumper for them, but they are no where to be found.
Roofrack rails are there, but the cross members are gone.
It has power mirrors/locks/windows/seats.
And it has the rear window wiper.

Floorboards look solid, other rust looks minor - congratulations!

Yes, much better than I was expecting...especially with it being a Wyoming vehicle.

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 02:19:18 PM »
Looks like to me you hit the jackpot! Well good for you!Those alloy wheel centers to me would have been worth the time and expense you have invested.Way to go!You did good my friend.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 03:59:15 PM »
Wow. That's better then the one I PAID for.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Prafeston

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 04:04:26 PM »

Yeah, I couldn't really pass up a free Eagle...no matter the condition! :)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 04:12:45 PM »

Yeah, I couldn't really pass up a free Eagle...no matter the condition! :)

How do you quantify free. My free concord and eagle drove here from 2 miles away. The eagle has a bent unibody. Concord is a dd. Plus they came with a giant parts stash(almost enough for every possible part haha not really).

Anyway good looker minus paint.

Manitowoc WI

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »

That's better than the one I paid for too.  But back in 96 there was no Eagle nest, craigslist, or Kijiji to make it  thousands of times easier to find a particular "rare" car.

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 07:50:02 PM »
Nice, can't beat free!  I paid $450 for a parts car wrecked beyond repair and still think it was money well spent.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Prafeston

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 07:54:27 PM »
Psh, Wyoming "rust", I laugh at it! ;D Sorry, but when you live in any sort of rust belt, a "rusty" car from a place as dry as Wyoming just makes me giggle. :rotfl:

True, the air may be dry, but they get considerably more snow than I do in MO.

Great score, man! Doesn't look like you'll need 'em, but if there's any external chrome trim pieces you need, let me know, as I'm stripping what I can off my wagon before the trail takes them. :P

There may be a few trim pieces I might need...for now though I'm not going to be worried about the exterior. I'm gonna strip all the trim and try to get rid of the wood grain, but it doesn't look like that is going to be very easy. The wood grain looks like it has fused to the vehicle..it won't be an easy peeling off of the vinyl.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:00:15 PM »
when i last lived in wyoming they were using sand not salt on all the roads so unless they've changed it in the last few years i'm not to surprized to see very little rust.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Prafeston

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 08:03:56 PM »
Well I'm glad to hear it! Hopefully it will make getting this thing road legal that much quicker.

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »
Just get yourself a heat gun and several cans of goo gone and a plastic body filler spreader, and maybe a six pack or two. Turn the radio on amd call all your friends and tell them you are having a party!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Prafeston

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 08:35:37 PM »
Just get yourself a heat gun and several cans of goo gone and a plastic body filler spreader, and maybe a six pack or two. Turn the radio on amd call all your friends and tell them you are having a party!

Sounds like a great idea. Kegger/Body Work Party. I did find an older thread with some more pointers on how to remove the wood grain.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk